World News

A bike path, a school bus and a paintball gun: How the Manhattan terror attack unfolded

Related Story: Eight dead after ute ploughs through crowd in Manhattan terror attack

Eight people are dead and several injured after a man drove a ute into cyclists and pedestrians on a busy bike track in New York.

Here's how police say the terrorist incident unfolded.

A ute mounts a bicycle path in lower Manhattan

According to New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill, at 3:05pm (local time) a man driving a ute rented from Home Depot, an American hardware store, mounted a busy bicycle path in lower Manhattan.

The 29-year-old driver, who has been identified in US media reports as Sayfullo Saipov, an immigrant from Uzbekistan, then drove south along the path, which runs adjacent to a highway and past schools, shops and towards theWorld Trade Centre.

External Link: The attack occurred in a central part of New York.

As he drove, Commissioner O'Neill said he hit a number of pedestrians and cyclists.

At that time, he said those in the area were likely heading home from work or school, or enjoying a sunny afternoon outside.

Commissioner O'Neill said six men were pronounced dead at the scene, and two others died later in hospital. Several others were injured and taken to hospital.

Photos from the scene showed mangled bikes left on the path.

Damaged bicycles on street after NYC truck incident (Photo: Reuters)

The driver then hits a school bus

At Chambers Street, the driver collided with a school bus.

There were two adults and two children in the bus, and all of them were injured.

The driver then got out of the ute, shouted something, and held up two handguns.

Police refused to confirm what the driver said.

Video from the scene showed him running on the road and weaving between yellow taxis.

External Link: Footage shows suspect at the scene of New York terror incident

Commissioner O'Neill said police later found a paintball gunand a pellet gun at the scene.

A police officer then shoots the driver

Shortly after the driver emerged from the ute, Commissioner O'Neill said a nearby police officer confronted him and shot him in the abdomen.

This may explain why there were reports of gunfire in the area.

The driver was wounded, taken into custody, and then transported to a local hospital.

New York Mayor says incident 'an act of terror'

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio says

At a press conference held two hours after the incident, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio described the incident as "an act of terror" and "a horrible tragedy".

"Let me be clear, based on the information we have at this moment, this was an act of terror and a particularly cowardly act of terror, aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them," he said.

Mr de Blasio said extra police would be deployed on the street for the rest of the evening and over coming days.

Witnesses describe the New York terror attack (Photo: Reuters)

New York's annual Village Halloween Parade was scheduled to take place less than two hours later on a nearby street.

The event went ahead.

External Link: Tweet by NYC Halloween Parade: Halloween Parade is still on! Getting ready to start!!

Commissioner O'Neill said New York police were investigating the incident along with the FBI.


Original Article

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *