Connect with us


Man on drugs jailed for 12 years for attacking girlfriend

Samuel Farley, 21, carried out a brutal assault on his girlfriend Esther Garrity, 19 He punched, kic..



  • Samuel Farley, 21, carried out a brutal assault on his girlfriend Esther Garrity, 19
  • He punched, kicked and stamped on Miss Garrity and knocked her teeth out
  • Left her in a coma for 3 months with fractured nose, cheek, jaw and brain injury

By Amie Gordon For Mailonline

Published: 13:00 EDT, 1 November 2017 | Updated: 13:04 EDT, 1 November 2017

Samuel Farley was jailed for 12 years and six months at Teesside Crown Court

Samuel Farley was jailed for 12 years and six months at Teesside Crown Court

An engineer who became psychotic on drugs battered his 19-year-old girlfriend so savagely she nearly died as her head swelled to three times its normal size.

Samuel Farley, 21, punched, kicked and stamped on fashion student Esther Garrity 27 times while he was high on cocaine, LSD and ketamine.

Miss Garrity, a teenage fashion student at Manchester Metropolitan University, lost teeth and was in a coma for nearly three months with a fractured nose, cheek and jaw and permanent brain damage.

Miss Garrity's injuries were so bad her head swelled to three times its normal size and her father could not recognise her when he saw her in hospital.

A paramedic who attended the scene said her injuries were the worst he had seen anyone survive.

She spent 108 days in hospital and continues to suffer the consequences of the attack in April.

Her boyfriend admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent on Tuesday as he was due to go on trial for attempted murder.

Farley, from Marton in Middlesbrough, had taken cocaine, ketamine and LSD before the attack.

Farley was jailed for 12 years and six months at Teesside Crown Court for the horrific attack and two counts of supplying cocaine.

Farley, 21, punched, kicked and stamped on fashion student Esther Garrity 27 times while he was high on cocaine, LSD and ketamineFarley, 21, punched, kicked and stamped on fashion student Esther Garrity 27 times while he was high on cocaine, LSD and ketamine

Farley, 21, punched, kicked and stamped on fashion student Esther Garrity 27 times while he was high on cocaine, LSD and ketamine

Miss Garrity's injuries were so bad her head swelled to three times its normal size and her father could not recognise her when he saw her in hospitalMiss Garrity's injuries were so bad her head swelled to three times its normal size and her father could not recognise her when he saw her in hospital

Miss Garrity's injuries were so bad her head swelled to three times its normal size and her father could not recognise her when he saw her in hospital

Judge Simon Bourne-Arton QC said: 'This case effectively illustrates the dangers of drug taking.

'This is, on any view, a tragic case, for it involves the fact that two young hitherto vibrant and talented young people have been blighted.

'Blighted, of course, Samuel Farley, by your actions on that night, effectively blighted by the drugs you chose to take.'

He added: 'You would not have become involved in this horrendous attack were it not for the drugs you chose to take.'

In a victim statement, Miss Garrity's father Francis recalled the shock of seeing her so badly injured in hospital.

He said: 'They tried to clean her up but I couldn't recognise the person lying there.

'Her head was three times the normal size, her injuries were horrific.'

Her mother Victoria Hoban, 44, a former chef, said she collapsed when she saw Miss Garrity in intensive care for the first time.

After the hearing yesterday she said: 'He had a sense of entitlement and ownership over Esther and the drugs just brought that out of him.

'Use of drugs in no way absolves one of personal responsibility. He has ruined her life and changed her from the bubbly, outgoing, confident girl that she was.

'Her university career came to an end and we have no way of knowing whether that can ever be resumed, but we can only hope.

'Seeing her lying in that hospital bed unrecognisable will stay with me for the rest of my life, It is something no parent should ever have to see.’

Sam Green QC, defending, said the drugs caused the defendant, normally a loving and caring boyfriend, to behave psychotically.

Mr Green said friends were astonished to hear what he had done and his behaviour was 'utterly out of character'.

Miss Garrity and her boyfriend had a large circle of friends and were thought to be a loving couple, John Elvidge QC, prosecuting, said.

Farley later told police they had a 'wonderful relationship, never had any arguments and were like best mates'.

But on April 28 he went against his girlfriend's wishes and took LSD during a night out with friends.

He also took cocaine and had ketamine in his system when he was arrested.

The court heard how he had a previous bad experience on LSD which led a friend to urge him not to take it again.

Miss Garrity was only mildly intoxicated when a row apparently inspired by his jealousy developed as they walked home along Marton Road.

He picked up a 7ft piece of wood from a for sale sign but did not hit her with it when she told him not to be 'stupid'.

Instead, Farley, who went to the gym five times a week, set about her with his hands and feet, with the blows becoming more frenzied.

Miss Garrity's pleas were heard by local residents who came to her help.

Her last words before she fell unconscious were: 'Stop it, you're going to kill me.'

He left her bleeding from the mouth, nose and ears and assaulted two men who tried to grab him.

He shouted 'I am God' as he struggled with police arresting him and on the way to hospital he was 'raving in an incomprehensible fashion', Mr Elvidge said.

He was sedated and the next morning, after asking 'How's my girlfriend', he claimed he had been spiked with LSD, only later admitting he had taken it voluntarily.

Farley instructed his barrister to issue a series of apologies to his victim, her family, his parents and to the court, Mr Green said.

'The most important thing I have to say is Samuel Farley is very sorry for the terrible thing he did to Esther Garrity,' he said.

Body-cam footage taken in hospital showed Farley was 'profoundly psychotically disturbed', Mr Green said.

'This is utterly, utterly out of character,' he added.

Farley now intends to warn others about the perils of using drugs, his barrister said.

'He wishes to say to young people, drawing on his own situation with humility, shame but maturity, 'don't do drugs, this is what they can do. They do terrible things, shun them'.'

Let's block ads! (Why?)

[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Sydney seaplane crash: Exhaust fumes affected pilot, report confirms




The pilot of a seaplane that crashed into an Australian river, killing all on board, had been left confused and disorientated by leaking exhaust fumes, investigators have confirmed.

The Canadian pilot and five members of a British family died in the crash north of Sydney in December 2017.

All were found to have higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, a final report has found.

It recommended the mandatory fitting of gas detectors in all such planes.

British businessman Richard Cousins, 58, died alongside his 48-year-old fiancée, magazine editor Emma Bowden, her 11-year-old daughter Heather and his sons, Edward, 23, and William, 25, and pilot Gareth Morgan, 44. Mr Cousins was the chief executive of catering giant Compass.

The family had been on a sightseeing flight in the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane when it nose-dived into the Hawkesbury River at Jerusalem Bay, about 50km (30 miles) from the city centre.

The final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the findings of an interim report published in 2020.

It said pre-existing cracks in the exhaust collector ring were believed to have released exhaust gas into the engine bay. Holes left by missing bolts in a firewall then allowed the fumes to enter the cabin.

“As a result, the pilot would have almost certainly experienced effects such as confusion, visual disturbance and disorientation,” the report said.

“Consequently, it was likely that this significantly degraded the pilot’s ability to safely operate the aircraft.”

The ATSB recommended the Civil Aviation Safety Authority consider mandating the fitting of carbon monoxide detectors in piston-engine aircraft that carry passengers.

It previously issued safety advisory notices to owners and operators of such aircraft that they install detectors “with an active warning” to pilots”. Operators and maintainers of planes were also advised to carry out detailed inspections of exhaust systems and firewalls.

Read from source:

Continue Reading


Australia unlikely to fully reopen border in 2021, says top official




Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.

The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.

Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus’ escalation in other nations.

Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia’s early action to close its borders last March.

“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue “for some time”.

Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.

Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – reopened bookings earlier this month, after saying it expected international travel to “begin to restart from July 2021.”

However, it added this depended on the Australian government’s deciding to reopen borders.

Australia’s tight restrictions

The country opened a travel bubble with neighbouring New Zealand late last year, but currently it only operates one-way with inbound flights to Australia.

Australia has also discussed the option of travel bubbles with other low-risk places such as Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.

A vaccination scheme is due to begin in Australia in late February. Local authorities have resisted calls to speed up the process, giving more time for regulatory approvals.

Australia has so far reported 909 deaths and about 22,000 cases, far fewer than many nations. It reported zero locally transmitted infections on Monday.

Experts have attributed much of Australia’s success to its swift border lockdown – which affected travellers from China as early as February – and a hotel quarantine system for people entering the country.

Local outbreaks have been caused by hotel quarantine breaches, including a second wave in Melbourne. The city’s residents endured a stringent four-month lockdown last year to successfully suppress the virus.

Other outbreaks – including one in Sydney which has infected about 200 people – prompted internal border closures between states, and other restrictions around Christmas time.

The state of Victoria said on Monday it would again allow entry to Sydney residents outside of designated “hotspots”, following a decline in cases.

While the measures have been praised, many have also criticised them for separating families across state borders and damaging businesses.

Dr Murphy said overall Australia’s virus response had been “pretty good” but he believed the nation could have introduced face masks earlier and improved its protections in aged care homes.

In recent days, Australia has granted entry to about 1,200 tennis players, staff and officials for the Australian Open. The contingent – which has recorded at least nine infections – is under quarantine.

Read from source:

Continue Reading


Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection




The Australian city of Brisbane has begun a snap three-day lockdown after a cleaner in its hotel quarantine system became infected with coronavirus.

Health officials said the cleaner had the highly transmissible UK variant and they were afraid it could spread.

Brisbane has seen very few cases of the virus beyond quarantined travellers since Australia’s first wave last year.

It is the first known instance of this variant entering the Australian community outside of hotel quarantine.

The lockdown is for five populous council areas in Queensland’s state capital.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the measure on Friday morning local time, about 16 hours after the woman tested positive.

Ms Palaszczuk said the lockdown aimed to halt the virus as rapidly as possible, adding: “Doing three days now could avoid doing 30 days in the future.”

“I think everybody in Queensland… knows what we are seeing in the UK and other places around the world is high rates of infection from this particular strain,” she said.

“And we do not want to see that happening here in our great state.”

Australia has reported 28,500 coronavirus infections and 909 deaths since the pandemic began. By contrast, the US, which is the hardest-hit country, has recorded more than 21 million infections while nearly 362,000 people have died of the disease.The lockdown will begin at 18:00 on Friday (08:00 GMT) in the Brisbane city, Logan and the Ipswich, Moreton and Redlands local government areas.

Residents will only be allowed to leave home for certain reasons, such as buying essential items and seeking medical care.

For the first time, residents in those areas will also be required to wear masks outside of their homes.

Australia has faced sporadic outbreaks over the past year, with the most severe one in Melbourne triggering a lockdown for almost four months.

A pre-Christmas outbreak in Sydney caused fresh alarm, but aggressive testing and contact-tracing has kept infection numbers low. The city recorded four local cases on Friday.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government has pledged to start mass vaccinations in February instead of March as was planned.

Lockdown interrupts ‘near normal’ life in Brisbane

Simon Atkinson, BBC News in Brisbane

At 8:00 today I popped to the local supermarket for some bread, milk – and because it’s summer here – a mango. I was pretty much the only customer.

When I went past the same shop a couple of hours later it was a different story – 50 people standing in the drizzle – queuing to get inside as others emerged with bulging shopping bags. “Heaps busier than Christmas,” a cheery trolley attendant told me. “It’s off the scale”.

Despite the “don’t panic” messages from authorities, pictures on social media show it’s a pattern being repeated across the city.

While shutdowns are common around the world, the tough and sudden stay-at-home order for Brisbane has caught people on the hop here after months of near normality.

But while such a rapid, hard lockdown off the back of just a single case of Covid-19 will seem crazy in some parts of the world, I’ve not come across too many people complaining.

And I don’t think that’s just because Aussies love to follow a rule. This is the first time the UK variant of the virus has been detected in the community in Australia.

And nobody here wants Brisbane to go through what Melbourne suffered last year. Even if it means going without mangoes.

Read from source:

Continue Reading


Copyright © 2020 ,