Connect with us

Australia

Stabbing in Blacktown may be retaliation for a bashing

Police charged a teenager over alleged stabbing of an 18-year-old in Blacktown The man was allegedly..

Published

on

  • Police charged a teenager over alleged stabbing of an 18-year-old in Blacktown
  • The man was allegedly stabbed in the heart outside a Westpoint shopping centre
  • Emergency services were called to Blacktown, Sydney's West at 2pm Thursday
  • Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital in critical condition
  • Disturbing footage of the attack was captured by an alleged terror sympathiser
  • Family of the alleged attacker say his cousin was bashed just a few days earlier

By Kate Darvall and Sam Duncan For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 18:34 EDT, 2 November 2017 | Updated: 18:34 EDT, 2 November 2017

The family of a teenager accused of brutally stabbing a man, 18, outside a busy Sydney shopping strip said the attack was retaliation for an earlier bashing.

John Kelly, 18, is fighting for his life after he was stabbed in the heart outside Westpoint shopping centre in Blacktown, western Sydney, about 2pm on Thursday.

Disturbing footage emerged soon after the attack showing a man wielding a knife running through the streets, as terrified shoppers fled from the scene.

Scroll down for video

A confronting photo surfaced online soon after the incident, showing a man dressed in a black Adidas shirt and grey tracksuit pants, wielding a knife in his right hand

A confronting photo surfaced online soon after the incident, showing a man dressed in a black Adidas shirt and grey tracksuit pants, wielding a knife in his right hand

The alleged attack may have been in retaliation after the 17-year-old's cousin was bashed earlier in the week, according toThe Daily Telegraph.

The 17-year-old male was arrested at a home in Seven Hills and taken to Blacktown Police Station on Thursday afternoon.

He was charged with common assault and wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and refused bail to appear at a children's court on Friday.

Footage of the brazen attack, captured by bystanders, was posted online a short time after.

Alleged terrorist sympathiser Zaky Mallah, who is not believed to be known to the alleged attacker or victim, captured the alleged attacker wielding the knife in an image posted to Facebook immediately after.

'I caught this photo of the bloke who stabbed someone in the heart at Blacktown… he has a knife in his hands and ran towards me,' Mr Mallah wrote.

When he was 19-years-old Mr Mallah, now 34, was the first Australian charged under the country's anti-terrorism act.

Disturbing footage has emerged of the moment a teenager was allegedly stabbed in the heart in broad daylight (pictured)

Police have charged a 17-year-old male over the alleged attack in Blacktown, western Sydney (pictured is the wounded man being treated)Police have charged a 17-year-old male over the alleged attack in Blacktown, western Sydney (pictured is the wounded man being treated)

Police have charged a 17-year-old male over the alleged attack in Blacktown, western Sydney (pictured is the wounded man being treated)

After the daylight attack, victim John Kelly, 18, could be seen staggering into a nearby medical centre.

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find Mr Kelly in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood.

He was taken to Westmead Hospital, where he was rushed into surgery.

Westmead Hospital told Daily Mail Australia on Friday the 18-year-old remained in a critical but stable condition.

John Kelly, 18, can be seen confronting another man before realising he is bleeding from the chest and staggering into a nearby medical centre (pictured)John Kelly, 18, can be seen confronting another man before realising he is bleeding from the chest and staggering into a nearby medical centre (pictured)

John Kelly, 18, can be seen confronting another man before realising he is bleeding from the chest and staggering into a nearby medical centre (pictured)

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find the Mr Kelly (pictured, right) in a critical condition and losing a lot of bloodParamedics arrived on the scene to find the Mr Kelly (pictured, right) in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find the Mr Kelly (pictured, right) in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood

The 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, was allegedly stabbed in the chest in Blacktown on Thursday The 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, was allegedly stabbed in the chest in Blacktown on Thursday 

The 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, was allegedly stabbed in the chest in Blacktown on Thursday

New South Wales police arrested a man at a home in Seven Hills a short time later and took him to Blacktown Police StationNew South Wales police arrested a man at a home in Seven Hills a short time later and took him to Blacktown Police Station

New South Wales police arrested a man at a home in Seven Hills a short time later and took him to Blacktown Police Station

Paramedics arrived to find the teenager in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood.

The Careflight helicopter, also tasked to the alleged stabbing, landed on the Prospect Highway to drop its emergency medical team.

They jumped aboard the ambulance, which was rushing the teenager to Westmead Hospital, to stabilise him on the road.

Surgeons and operating theatres were put on standby as the teenager began losing consciousness.

'Anyone who has sustained a penetrating injury anywhere around the heart is a concern,' Chief Inspector Parsell said.

Emergency services are seen loading John Kelly into an ambulance after he was allegedly stabbedEmergency services are seen loading John Kelly into an ambulance after he was allegedly stabbed

Emergency services are seen loading John Kelly into an ambulance after he was allegedly stabbed

Police arrived at a house in Seven Hills, where they arrested a teenager in relation to the attackPolice arrived at a house in Seven Hills, where they arrested a teenager in relation to the attack

Police arrived at a house in Seven Hills, where they arrested a teenager in relation to the attack

'Cardiac penetrating injuries are extremely life-threatening and time is of the essence.'

Shocked witnesses could be seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he was loaded into the back of an ambulance.

Officers from Blacktown Local Area Command established a large crime scene and commenced an investigation.

Shocked witnesses are seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he is loaded into the back of an ambulance following the 2.20pm attack in Blacktown Shocked witnesses are seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he is loaded into the back of an ambulance following the 2.20pm attack in Blacktown 

Shocked witnesses are seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he is loaded into the back of an ambulance following the 2.20pm attack in Blacktown

Sobering footage of the 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, emerged after the attack.

Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work to stabilise him.

Dressed in black shorts, and a white t-shirt, Mr Kelly is seen with blood dripping down his left leg, and onto the ground beneath him.

Police say the incident was not terror related and continue to appeal for any witnesses to come forward.

Investigators would like to speak to anybody who encountered the 17-year-old accused person on the rail network following the incident.

Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work on him Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work on him 

Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work on him

Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable conditionParamedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable condition

Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable condition

Read more:

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Australia

Sydney seaplane crash: Exhaust fumes affected pilot, report confirms

Published

on

By

The pilot of a seaplane that crashed into an Australian river, killing all on board, had been left confused and disorientated by leaking exhaust fumes, investigators have confirmed.

The Canadian pilot and five members of a British family died in the crash north of Sydney in December 2017.

All were found to have higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, a final report has found.

It recommended the mandatory fitting of gas detectors in all such planes.

British businessman Richard Cousins, 58, died alongside his 48-year-old fiancée, magazine editor Emma Bowden, her 11-year-old daughter Heather and his sons, Edward, 23, and William, 25, and pilot Gareth Morgan, 44. Mr Cousins was the chief executive of catering giant Compass.

The family had been on a sightseeing flight in the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane when it nose-dived into the Hawkesbury River at Jerusalem Bay, about 50km (30 miles) from the city centre.

The final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the findings of an interim report published in 2020.

It said pre-existing cracks in the exhaust collector ring were believed to have released exhaust gas into the engine bay. Holes left by missing bolts in a firewall then allowed the fumes to enter the cabin.

“As a result, the pilot would have almost certainly experienced effects such as confusion, visual disturbance and disorientation,” the report said.

“Consequently, it was likely that this significantly degraded the pilot’s ability to safely operate the aircraft.”

The ATSB recommended the Civil Aviation Safety Authority consider mandating the fitting of carbon monoxide detectors in piston-engine aircraft that carry passengers.

It previously issued safety advisory notices to owners and operators of such aircraft that they install detectors “with an active warning” to pilots”. Operators and maintainers of planes were also advised to carry out detailed inspections of exhaust systems and firewalls.

Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55862128

Continue Reading

Australia

Australia unlikely to fully reopen border in 2021, says top official

Published

on

By

Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.

The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.

Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus’ escalation in other nations.

Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia’s early action to close its borders last March.

“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue “for some time”.

Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.

Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – reopened bookings earlier this month, after saying it expected international travel to “begin to restart from July 2021.”

However, it added this depended on the Australian government’s deciding to reopen borders.

Australia’s tight restrictions

The country opened a travel bubble with neighbouring New Zealand late last year, but currently it only operates one-way with inbound flights to Australia.

Australia has also discussed the option of travel bubbles with other low-risk places such as Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.

A vaccination scheme is due to begin in Australia in late February. Local authorities have resisted calls to speed up the process, giving more time for regulatory approvals.

Australia has so far reported 909 deaths and about 22,000 cases, far fewer than many nations. It reported zero locally transmitted infections on Monday.

Experts have attributed much of Australia’s success to its swift border lockdown – which affected travellers from China as early as February – and a hotel quarantine system for people entering the country.

Local outbreaks have been caused by hotel quarantine breaches, including a second wave in Melbourne. The city’s residents endured a stringent four-month lockdown last year to successfully suppress the virus.

Other outbreaks – including one in Sydney which has infected about 200 people – prompted internal border closures between states, and other restrictions around Christmas time.

The state of Victoria said on Monday it would again allow entry to Sydney residents outside of designated “hotspots”, following a decline in cases.

While the measures have been praised, many have also criticised them for separating families across state borders and damaging businesses.

Dr Murphy said overall Australia’s virus response had been “pretty good” but he believed the nation could have introduced face masks earlier and improved its protections in aged care homes.

In recent days, Australia has granted entry to about 1,200 tennis players, staff and officials for the Australian Open. The contingent – which has recorded at least nine infections – is under quarantine.

Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55699581

Continue Reading

Australia

Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection

Published

on

By

The Australian city of Brisbane has begun a snap three-day lockdown after a cleaner in its hotel quarantine system became infected with coronavirus.

Health officials said the cleaner had the highly transmissible UK variant and they were afraid it could spread.

Brisbane has seen very few cases of the virus beyond quarantined travellers since Australia’s first wave last year.

It is the first known instance of this variant entering the Australian community outside of hotel quarantine.

The lockdown is for five populous council areas in Queensland’s state capital.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the measure on Friday morning local time, about 16 hours after the woman tested positive.

Ms Palaszczuk said the lockdown aimed to halt the virus as rapidly as possible, adding: “Doing three days now could avoid doing 30 days in the future.”

“I think everybody in Queensland… knows what we are seeing in the UK and other places around the world is high rates of infection from this particular strain,” she said.

“And we do not want to see that happening here in our great state.”

Australia has reported 28,500 coronavirus infections and 909 deaths since the pandemic began. By contrast, the US, which is the hardest-hit country, has recorded more than 21 million infections while nearly 362,000 people have died of the disease.The lockdown will begin at 18:00 on Friday (08:00 GMT) in the Brisbane city, Logan and the Ipswich, Moreton and Redlands local government areas.

Residents will only be allowed to leave home for certain reasons, such as buying essential items and seeking medical care.

For the first time, residents in those areas will also be required to wear masks outside of their homes.

Australia has faced sporadic outbreaks over the past year, with the most severe one in Melbourne triggering a lockdown for almost four months.

A pre-Christmas outbreak in Sydney caused fresh alarm, but aggressive testing and contact-tracing has kept infection numbers low. The city recorded four local cases on Friday.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government has pledged to start mass vaccinations in February instead of March as was planned.

Lockdown interrupts ‘near normal’ life in Brisbane

Simon Atkinson, BBC News in Brisbane

At 8:00 today I popped to the local supermarket for some bread, milk – and because it’s summer here – a mango. I was pretty much the only customer.

When I went past the same shop a couple of hours later it was a different story – 50 people standing in the drizzle – queuing to get inside as others emerged with bulging shopping bags. “Heaps busier than Christmas,” a cheery trolley attendant told me. “It’s off the scale”.

Despite the “don’t panic” messages from authorities, pictures on social media show it’s a pattern being repeated across the city.

While shutdowns are common around the world, the tough and sudden stay-at-home order for Brisbane has caught people on the hop here after months of near normality.

But while such a rapid, hard lockdown off the back of just a single case of Covid-19 will seem crazy in some parts of the world, I’ve not come across too many people complaining.

And I don’t think that’s just because Aussies love to follow a rule. This is the first time the UK variant of the virus has been detected in the community in Australia.

And nobody here wants Brisbane to go through what Melbourne suffered last year. Even if it means going without mangoes.

Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55582836

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 , madridjournals.com