Published: 07:18 EDT, 4 November 2017 | Updated: 07:24 EDT, 4 November 2017
It had recently been announced that her husband Prince Consort Henrik is suffering from dementia.
But continuing to put on a brave face, it was business as usual for Queen Margrethe of Denmark, 77, as she stepped out alongside Queen Sonja of Norway to attend the latter's International Music Festival held in Copenhagen.
The Danish monarch cut a flamboyant figure for the occasion, wrapping up from the autumn chill in an opulent fur shawl she paired with a silver frock underneath.
Scroll down for video
Royal affair: Queen Margrethe of Denmark, 77, as she stepped out alongside Queen Sonja of Norway to attend the latter's International Music Festival held in Copenhagen
Making a glamorous appearance, Queen Margrethe II appeared in high spirits, as she was joined by fellow royalty Queen Sonja.
Queen Sonja, meanwhile, favoured a more muted ensemble that saw her sport a two-tone frock and a tailored embellished blazer jacket on top.
The duo appeared in high spirits as they arrived for annual event that takes place every two years. It invites singers from all over the world to take part in a bid to assist the career development of talented young singers.
Queen Margrethe's appearance in Copenhagen comes after she was recently seen marking the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in her native. Denmark is hosting a series of celebrations this year as a result, with the monarch attending the festivities without her husband.
Brave face: It was business as usual for Queen Margrethe who's appearance comes after it was recently announced her husband Prince Consort Henrik is suffering from dementia
Head turner: The Danish monarch cut a flamboyant figure for the occasion, wrapping up from the autumn chill in an opulent fur shawl she paired with a silver frock underneath
It was announced in September that Prince Consort Henrik is suffering from dementia. The Danish monarchy had released a statement to address his diagnosis, just weeks after Prince Henrik had said he didn't want to be buried with his 'disrespectful' wife.
The cruel disease is said to have advanced quicker than expected and the 83-year-old's royal engagements will be downgraded as a result of the diagnosis.
A palace statement read: 'Following a longer course of investigation, and most recently, a series of examinations conducted during late summer, a team of specialists at Rigshospitalet has now concluded that His Royal Highness Prince Henrik suffers from dementia.
'The extent of the cognitive failure is, according to Rigshospitalet, greater than expected considering the age of the prince.'
Glamorous: Queen Margrethe II appeared in high spirits, as she was joined by fellow royalty Queen Sonja
Delight: Queen Sonja favoured a more muted ensemble that saw her sport a two-tone frock and a tailored embellished blazer jacket on top
At the beginning of August, Prince Henrik of Denmark accused his wife Queen Margrethe of not showing him the respect 'a normal wife must give her spouse.' – because he was never made King.
In an interview with local weekly magazine Se og Hor he has accused the Queen of making a fool of him. In a video on the magazine's website the prince tries to explain his earlier outburst when he refused to be buried with his wife at Roskilde Cathedral.
He says: 'It is her that is making a fool of me. I didn't marry the Queen to be buried at Roskilde.' The prince adds: 'My wife has decided that she wants to be Queen, and I'm very happy about that.
'But as a human being she needs to know that if a man and wife are married, they are equal.'
Long vocal about his frustration over being relegated to a supporting role, Prince Henrik explained in a newspaper interview on August 3 that he was not on equal footing with his wife in life and therefore did not want to be so in death. The palace said that his decision had been accepted by the queen.
Stepping back: It was announced in September that Prince Consort Henrik is suffering from dementia – the disease is said to have advanced quicker than expected and the 83-year-old's royal engagements will be downgraded as a result of the diagnosis
In Wednesday's statement, the palace said the prince's cognitive failure 'can be accompanied by changes in behaviour, reaction patterns, judgement and emotional life and may therefore also affect the interaction with the outside world'.
As a consequence of the diagnosis, the prince, who retired from public service in January 2016, will 'further downgrade his future activities, just as patronages and honorary memberships will be considered'. It was not known whether Henrik's remarks about his burial wishes were affected by the dementia.
Disappointed that his royal title of prince consort was never changed to king when his wife became queen in 1972, Henrik has often spoken out about his discontent, which did little to endear him to his subjects.
Born Henri Marie Jean Andre Count de Laborde de Monpezat on June 11, 1934 in Talence, near Bordeaux, he met Margrethe, then the crown-princess, while he was stationed in London as a diplomat.
Upon marrying her, he changed his name to Henrik, converted from Catholicism to Protestantism and renounced his French citizenship to become a Dane. By the time Margrethe acceded to the throne, the couple had two young children: Prince Frederik, born in 1968, and Joakim, born in 1969.
History: Born Henri Marie Jean Andre Count de Laborde de Monpezat on June 11, 1934 in Talence, near Bordeaux, he met Margrethe, then the crown-princess, while he was stationed in London as a diplomat – they share two children
[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]
Sydney seaplane crash: Exhaust fumes affected pilot, report confirms
The pilot of a seaplane that crashed into an Australian river, killing all on board, had been left confused and disorientated by leaking exhaust fumes, investigators have confirmed.
The Canadian pilot and five members of a British family died in the crash north of Sydney in December 2017.
All were found to have higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, a final report has found.
It recommended the mandatory fitting of gas detectors in all such planes.
British businessman Richard Cousins, 58, died alongside his 48-year-old fiancée, magazine editor Emma Bowden, her 11-year-old daughter Heather and his sons, Edward, 23, and William, 25, and pilot Gareth Morgan, 44. Mr Cousins was the chief executive of catering giant Compass.
The family had been on a sightseeing flight in the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane when it nose-dived into the Hawkesbury River at Jerusalem Bay, about 50km (30 miles) from the city centre.
The final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the findings of an interim report published in 2020.
It said pre-existing cracks in the exhaust collector ring were believed to have released exhaust gas into the engine bay. Holes left by missing bolts in a firewall then allowed the fumes to enter the cabin.
“As a result, the pilot would have almost certainly experienced effects such as confusion, visual disturbance and disorientation,” the report said.
“Consequently, it was likely that this significantly degraded the pilot’s ability to safely operate the aircraft.”
The ATSB recommended the Civil Aviation Safety Authority consider mandating the fitting of carbon monoxide detectors in piston-engine aircraft that carry passengers.
It previously issued safety advisory notices to owners and operators of such aircraft that they install detectors “with an active warning” to pilots”. Operators and maintainers of planes were also advised to carry out detailed inspections of exhaust systems and firewalls.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55862128
Australia unlikely to fully reopen border in 2021, says top official
Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.
The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.
Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus’ escalation in other nations.
Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia’s early action to close its borders last March.
“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.
“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue “for some time”.
Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.
Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – reopened bookings earlier this month, after saying it expected international travel to “begin to restart from July 2021.”
However, it added this depended on the Australian government’s deciding to reopen borders.
Australia’s tight restrictions
The country opened a travel bubble with neighbouring New Zealand late last year, but currently it only operates one-way with inbound flights to Australia.
Australia has also discussed the option of travel bubbles with other low-risk places such as Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.
A vaccination scheme is due to begin in Australia in late February. Local authorities have resisted calls to speed up the process, giving more time for regulatory approvals.
Australia has so far reported 909 deaths and about 22,000 cases, far fewer than many nations. It reported zero locally transmitted infections on Monday.
Experts have attributed much of Australia’s success to its swift border lockdown – which affected travellers from China as early as February – and a hotel quarantine system for people entering the country.
Local outbreaks have been caused by hotel quarantine breaches, including a second wave in Melbourne. The city’s residents endured a stringent four-month lockdown last year to successfully suppress the virus.
Other outbreaks – including one in Sydney which has infected about 200 people – prompted internal border closures between states, and other restrictions around Christmas time.
The state of Victoria said on Monday it would again allow entry to Sydney residents outside of designated “hotspots”, following a decline in cases.
While the measures have been praised, many have also criticised them for separating families across state borders and damaging businesses.
Dr Murphy said overall Australia’s virus response had been “pretty good” but he believed the nation could have introduced face masks earlier and improved its protections in aged care homes.
In recent days, Australia has granted entry to about 1,200 tennis players, staff and officials for the Australian Open. The contingent – which has recorded at least nine infections – is under quarantine.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55699581
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
The Australian city of Brisbane has begun a snap three-day lockdown after a cleaner in its hotel quarantine system became infected with coronavirus.
Health officials said the cleaner had the highly transmissible UK variant and they were afraid it could spread.
Brisbane has seen very few cases of the virus beyond quarantined travellers since Australia’s first wave last year.
It is the first known instance of this variant entering the Australian community outside of hotel quarantine.
The lockdown is for five populous council areas in Queensland’s state capital.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the measure on Friday morning local time, about 16 hours after the woman tested positive.
Ms Palaszczuk said the lockdown aimed to halt the virus as rapidly as possible, adding: “Doing three days now could avoid doing 30 days in the future.”
“I think everybody in Queensland… knows what we are seeing in the UK and other places around the world is high rates of infection from this particular strain,” she said.
“And we do not want to see that happening here in our great state.”
Australia has reported 28,500 coronavirus infections and 909 deaths since the pandemic began. By contrast, the US, which is the hardest-hit country, has recorded more than 21 million infections while nearly 362,000 people have died of the disease.The lockdown will begin at 18:00 on Friday (08:00 GMT) in the Brisbane city, Logan and the Ipswich, Moreton and Redlands local government areas.
Residents will only be allowed to leave home for certain reasons, such as buying essential items and seeking medical care.
For the first time, residents in those areas will also be required to wear masks outside of their homes.
Australia has faced sporadic outbreaks over the past year, with the most severe one in Melbourne triggering a lockdown for almost four months.
A pre-Christmas outbreak in Sydney caused fresh alarm, but aggressive testing and contact-tracing has kept infection numbers low. The city recorded four local cases on Friday.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government has pledged to start mass vaccinations in February instead of March as was planned.
Lockdown interrupts ‘near normal’ life in Brisbane
Simon Atkinson, BBC News in Brisbane
At 8:00 today I popped to the local supermarket for some bread, milk – and because it’s summer here – a mango. I was pretty much the only customer.
When I went past the same shop a couple of hours later it was a different story – 50 people standing in the drizzle – queuing to get inside as others emerged with bulging shopping bags. “Heaps busier than Christmas,” a cheery trolley attendant told me. “It’s off the scale”.
Despite the “don’t panic” messages from authorities, pictures on social media show it’s a pattern being repeated across the city.
While shutdowns are common around the world, the tough and sudden stay-at-home order for Brisbane has caught people on the hop here after months of near normality.
But while such a rapid, hard lockdown off the back of just a single case of Covid-19 will seem crazy in some parts of the world, I’ve not come across too many people complaining.
And I don’t think that’s just because Aussies love to follow a rule. This is the first time the UK variant of the virus has been detected in the community in Australia.
And nobody here wants Brisbane to go through what Melbourne suffered last year. Even if it means going without mangoes.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55582836
Australia2 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Australia2 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Tech10 months ago
Search engine startup asks users to be the customer, not the product
Europe4 months ago
Covid: Flights shut down as EU discusses UK virus threat
Health4 months ago
Spain ‘to register’ those who refuse to have Covid-19 vaccine
Europe3 months ago
Post-Brexit trade: Is red tape chaos just ‘teething trouble’ as the UK government argues?
Australia3 months ago
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
Arts3 years ago
How a chain-link mosque at the Vancouver Biennale became a community hub