- Bryan Cranston said on Friday he believes Kevin Spacey’s career is over because of allegations he sexually assaulted over a dozen men
- Another accuser came forward on Friday to allege Spacey groped him, making him the 15th man to go public with assault allegations
- The Breaking Bad star says that while he thinks Spacey is ‘a phenomenal actor,’ he’s ‘not a very good person’
- Earlier this week, it was learned that Spacey’s scenes from an upcoming Ridley Scott film were removed just six weeks before it is due to be released
- The latest man to come forward with assault allegations is Andy Holtzman, who claims that in the summer of 1981, Spacey groped him in New York
Published: 18:02 EST, 10 November 2017 | Updated: 00:52 EST, 11 November 2017
Bryan Cranston said on Friday he believes Kevin Spacey’s career is over because of allegations he sexually assaulted over a dozen men
Bryan Cranston said on Friday he believes Kevin Spacey’s career is over because of allegations he sexually assaulted over a dozen men.
Another accuser came forward on Friday to allege Spacey groped him, making him the 15th man to go public with assault allegations.
Cranston, the Breaking Bad star, says that while he thinks Spacey is ‘a phenomenal actor,’ he’s ‘not a very good person.’
‘His career now I think is over,’ Cranston told the BBC.
Earlier this week, it was learned that Spacey’s scenes from an upcoming Ridley Scott film were removed just six weeks before it is due to be released.
Spacey, 58, who was initially tapped to portray billionaire oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in All The Money In The World, will have his character’s scenes be re-shot – with 87-year-old Christopher Plummer assuming the role of Getty.
Netflix, which produced the hit show House of Cards starring Spacey, said it had cut ties with the actor.
Another accuser came forward on Friday to allege Spacey (seen above in Beverly Hills on October 27) groped him, making him the 15th man to go public with assault allegations
Cranston, The Breaking Bad star, says that while he thinks Spacey is ‘a phenomenal actor,’ he’s ‘not a very good person.’ The two men are seen together in Los Angeles on October 1, 2016
Cranston was asked about the rash of sexual assault and harassment allegations that have been made in recent weeks against Hollywood A-listers, including film studio head Harvey Weinstein, writer James Toback, producer Brett Ratner, and actors Dustin Hoffman, Ed Westwick, Louis C.K., Jeremy Piven, Steven Seagal, and others.
‘There's a disorder among all those people who use their power, their place or their status in any industry to overpower someone and force someone to do something that they don't want to do,’ Cranston says.
‘It's beyond disgusting. It's almost animalistic.’
Cranston, 61, is currently starring in the play Network, which is on a limited engagement run at the National Theater in London.
Spacey, 58, who was initially tapped to portray billionaire oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in All The Money In The World (above), will have his character’s scenes be re-shot
He says that the abuse and harassment is normally aimed at the most vulnerable women and young men starting out in show business.
‘It's a form of bullying. It's a form of control. It's almost always [done to] young vulnerable men and women who are starting their career,’ he says.
‘That sort of experience goes unchecked until something like this happens.’
Cranston believes that the spate of stories that have emerged in recent weeks will have an overall positive effect in the long-term.
‘That sort of experience goes unchecked until something like this happens,’ he said.
‘The pillars of what was are falling. Everything is being exposed.
Christopher Plummer, 87, will replace Spacey as Getty in the film
‘Women and men should not have to tolerate misbehavior just because of their youth and inexperience.
‘The silver lining is we’re not accepting behavior like that just because it’s the way it’s always been.’
So far, 15 men have come forward to allege that Spacey either harassed, assaulted, or attempted to rape them, according to USA Today.
Five of the accusers said the alleged incidents took place when they were teenagers.
The latest man to come forward with assault allegations is Andy Holtzman.
Holtzman claims that in the summer of 1981, Spacey groped him in New York, USA Today reported.
On October 29, Star Trek: Discovery star Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed that Spacey made sexual advances toward him when the two were in Spacey’s New York apartment in 1986, when he was just 14 years old.
Spacey said he didn’t remember the specifics of the encounter, but that he nonetheless apologized to Rapp.
In the same statement, Spacey acknowledged that he was a homosexual – which drew sharp criticism from gay rights advocates who accused him of trying to deflect attention away from sexual assault allegations by coming out of the closet and of playing on common stereotypes that gays were naturally inclined toward pedophilia.
On October 29, actor Anthony Rapp (left) told BuzzFeed that Spacey made sexual advances toward him when the two were in Spacey’s New York apartment in 1986, when he was just 14 years old. The day after Rapp went public, another actor, Robert Cavazos (right), wrote a Facebook post in which he accused Spacey of fondling him at the Old Vic theater in London
Documentary filmmaker Tony Montana also came forward with allegations that Spacey groped him
The day after Cavazos’ post, Daniel Beal (left) told The Sun that Spacey exposed himself to him in 2010, when he was a 19-year-old bartender in West Sussex .Harry Dreyfus (right), an actor and writer and the son of Richard Dreyfus, also alleged that Spacey groped his genitals
Kris Nixon, a 20-year-old bartender from Belfast, claims that in 2007, Spacey grabbed his crotch at a party in Spacey's apartment near the Old Vic in London
The day after Rapp went public, another actor, Robert Cavazos, wrote a Facebook post in which he accused Spacey of fondling him at the Old Vic theater in London.
The day after Cavazos’ post, Daniel Beal told The Sun that Spacey exposed himself to him in 2010, when he was a 19-year-old bartender in West Sussex.
Last week, Justin Dawes told BuzzFeed that in 1988, he and a friend were invited to Spacey’s apartment, where the actor had pornography playing on the television.
Dawes was just 16 years old at the time.
Harry Dreyfus, an actor and writer and the son of Richard Dreyfus, also alleged that Spacey groped his genitals.
Similar accusations were made by documentary filmmaker Tony Montana.
London police are investigating claims made by an anonymous man who says that Spacey sexually assaulted him in 2008.
On Wednesday, Heather Unruh, a former Boston television news anchor, held a press conference alleging that Spacey groped her then-18-year-old son in a bar in Nantucket, Massachusetts.
Unruh said her son filed a criminal complaint with police and that an investigation has been opened.
[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]
Sydney seaplane crash: Exhaust fumes affected pilot, report confirms
The pilot of a seaplane that crashed into an Australian river, killing all on board, had been left confused and disorientated by leaking exhaust fumes, investigators have confirmed.
The Canadian pilot and five members of a British family died in the crash north of Sydney in December 2017.
All were found to have higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, a final report has found.
It recommended the mandatory fitting of gas detectors in all such planes.
British businessman Richard Cousins, 58, died alongside his 48-year-old fiancée, magazine editor Emma Bowden, her 11-year-old daughter Heather and his sons, Edward, 23, and William, 25, and pilot Gareth Morgan, 44. Mr Cousins was the chief executive of catering giant Compass.
The family had been on a sightseeing flight in the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane when it nose-dived into the Hawkesbury River at Jerusalem Bay, about 50km (30 miles) from the city centre.
The final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the findings of an interim report published in 2020.
It said pre-existing cracks in the exhaust collector ring were believed to have released exhaust gas into the engine bay. Holes left by missing bolts in a firewall then allowed the fumes to enter the cabin.
“As a result, the pilot would have almost certainly experienced effects such as confusion, visual disturbance and disorientation,” the report said.
“Consequently, it was likely that this significantly degraded the pilot’s ability to safely operate the aircraft.”
The ATSB recommended the Civil Aviation Safety Authority consider mandating the fitting of carbon monoxide detectors in piston-engine aircraft that carry passengers.
It previously issued safety advisory notices to owners and operators of such aircraft that they install detectors “with an active warning” to pilots”. Operators and maintainers of planes were also advised to carry out detailed inspections of exhaust systems and firewalls.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55862128
Australia unlikely to fully reopen border in 2021, says top official
Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.
The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.
Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus’ escalation in other nations.
Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia’s early action to close its borders last March.
“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.
“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue “for some time”.
Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.
Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – reopened bookings earlier this month, after saying it expected international travel to “begin to restart from July 2021.”
However, it added this depended on the Australian government’s deciding to reopen borders.
Australia’s tight restrictions
The country opened a travel bubble with neighbouring New Zealand late last year, but currently it only operates one-way with inbound flights to Australia.
Australia has also discussed the option of travel bubbles with other low-risk places such as Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.
A vaccination scheme is due to begin in Australia in late February. Local authorities have resisted calls to speed up the process, giving more time for regulatory approvals.
Australia has so far reported 909 deaths and about 22,000 cases, far fewer than many nations. It reported zero locally transmitted infections on Monday.
Experts have attributed much of Australia’s success to its swift border lockdown – which affected travellers from China as early as February – and a hotel quarantine system for people entering the country.
Local outbreaks have been caused by hotel quarantine breaches, including a second wave in Melbourne. The city’s residents endured a stringent four-month lockdown last year to successfully suppress the virus.
Other outbreaks – including one in Sydney which has infected about 200 people – prompted internal border closures between states, and other restrictions around Christmas time.
The state of Victoria said on Monday it would again allow entry to Sydney residents outside of designated “hotspots”, following a decline in cases.
While the measures have been praised, many have also criticised them for separating families across state borders and damaging businesses.
Dr Murphy said overall Australia’s virus response had been “pretty good” but he believed the nation could have introduced face masks earlier and improved its protections in aged care homes.
In recent days, Australia has granted entry to about 1,200 tennis players, staff and officials for the Australian Open. The contingent – which has recorded at least nine infections – is under quarantine.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55699581
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
The Australian city of Brisbane has begun a snap three-day lockdown after a cleaner in its hotel quarantine system became infected with coronavirus.
Health officials said the cleaner had the highly transmissible UK variant and they were afraid it could spread.
Brisbane has seen very few cases of the virus beyond quarantined travellers since Australia’s first wave last year.
It is the first known instance of this variant entering the Australian community outside of hotel quarantine.
The lockdown is for five populous council areas in Queensland’s state capital.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the measure on Friday morning local time, about 16 hours after the woman tested positive.
Ms Palaszczuk said the lockdown aimed to halt the virus as rapidly as possible, adding: “Doing three days now could avoid doing 30 days in the future.”
“I think everybody in Queensland… knows what we are seeing in the UK and other places around the world is high rates of infection from this particular strain,” she said.
“And we do not want to see that happening here in our great state.”
Australia has reported 28,500 coronavirus infections and 909 deaths since the pandemic began. By contrast, the US, which is the hardest-hit country, has recorded more than 21 million infections while nearly 362,000 people have died of the disease.The lockdown will begin at 18:00 on Friday (08:00 GMT) in the Brisbane city, Logan and the Ipswich, Moreton and Redlands local government areas.
Residents will only be allowed to leave home for certain reasons, such as buying essential items and seeking medical care.
For the first time, residents in those areas will also be required to wear masks outside of their homes.
Australia has faced sporadic outbreaks over the past year, with the most severe one in Melbourne triggering a lockdown for almost four months.
A pre-Christmas outbreak in Sydney caused fresh alarm, but aggressive testing and contact-tracing has kept infection numbers low. The city recorded four local cases on Friday.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government has pledged to start mass vaccinations in February instead of March as was planned.
Lockdown interrupts ‘near normal’ life in Brisbane
Simon Atkinson, BBC News in Brisbane
At 8:00 today I popped to the local supermarket for some bread, milk – and because it’s summer here – a mango. I was pretty much the only customer.
When I went past the same shop a couple of hours later it was a different story – 50 people standing in the drizzle – queuing to get inside as others emerged with bulging shopping bags. “Heaps busier than Christmas,” a cheery trolley attendant told me. “It’s off the scale”.
Despite the “don’t panic” messages from authorities, pictures on social media show it’s a pattern being repeated across the city.
While shutdowns are common around the world, the tough and sudden stay-at-home order for Brisbane has caught people on the hop here after months of near normality.
But while such a rapid, hard lockdown off the back of just a single case of Covid-19 will seem crazy in some parts of the world, I’ve not come across too many people complaining.
And I don’t think that’s just because Aussies love to follow a rule. This is the first time the UK variant of the virus has been detected in the community in Australia.
And nobody here wants Brisbane to go through what Melbourne suffered last year. Even if it means going without mangoes.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55582836
Australia2 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Australia2 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Tech10 months ago
Search engine startup asks users to be the customer, not the product
Europe4 months ago
Covid: Flights shut down as EU discusses UK virus threat
Health4 months ago
Spain ‘to register’ those who refuse to have Covid-19 vaccine
Europe3 months ago
Post-Brexit trade: Is red tape chaos just ‘teething trouble’ as the UK government argues?
Australia3 months ago
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
Arts3 years ago
How a chain-link mosque at the Vancouver Biennale became a community hub