- The Trump family turned heads Sunday evening as they arrived to their annual New Year's Eve party
- The extravagant $750-a-head bash took place inside the Donald J. Trump Grand Ballroom
- Melania, Ivanka and Lara donned expensive gowns to the event while the boys sported suits and ties on the red carpet
- Tickets for the New Year's Eve bash rose from last year, and cost a whopping $750 per guest
- President's supporters and members of his private club say the increased security measures and pricier tickets will be worth it
Published: 22:31 EST, 31 December 2017 | Updated: 23:34 EST, 31 December 2017
The Trump family looked flashy while dressed to the nines in preparation for their annual New Year's Eve bash at Mar-a-Lago.
The President, Melania and 11-year-old Barron made a serious statement as they arrived to the gala taking place inside the Donald J. Trump Grand Ballroom Sunday evening.
Melania donned a gorgeous $4,000 Emery floral-embroidered sequin ERDEM gown, while the guys sported black tie.
Ivanka, Jared and their two kids, Arabella, 6, and Joseph, 4, smiled for the camera in a cute Instagram snapshot that shows the group in suits and dresses.
President Donald Trump speaks with reporters as he arrives for a New Year's Eve gala at his Mar-a-Lago resort with first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron, Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017, in Palm Beach, Florida
Melania donned a gorgeous $4,000 Emery floral-embroidered sequin dress, while the boys sported black tie
Look ladylike in Erdem like Melania Trump
Ready to ring in the new year, Melania Trump joined her husband President Trump and son Barron at Mar-A-Lago and she was dressed to impress in a sparkly creation.
It's by Erdem and with the glistening sequins, flirty pink hue and colorful embroidered floral pattern, it was just right for the occasion.
The high neckline, puffy sleeves and tea length created an air of modesty around the look and with the fitted silhouette, it hugged Melania's figure just right.
If you've got a First Lady budget, click to the right to buy her dress on sale for over $2000.
But if you're working with a smaller budget, get the look for less below with styles starting at less than $40.
Donald Trump and Melania greet guests as he arrives for a New Year's Eve party at his Mar-a-Lago club
'Happy New Year's Eve! xx,' Ivanka wrote in the picture post, where she is shown wearing a sparkly David Koma number.
Meanwhile, Lara Trump took to social media to share a sweet photo of herself and Eric on the red carpet.
'Thank you, 2017! Hello 2018,' Lara said. She chose a Chiara Boni La Petite Robe plunging black bodysuit, and Eric, a black suit and white bow tie.
The pricey tickets for the President's lavish New Year's Eve bash rose this year, and cost a whopping $750 per guest, according to The Washington Post.
Ivanka, Jared and their two kids, Arabella and Joseph smiled for the camera in a cute Instagram snapshot that shows the group in black tie and dresses
Meanwhile, Lara Trump took to social media to share a sweet photo of herself and Eric on the red carpet
The ticket price has prompted criticism against Trump with some accusing him of profiting from public office with the 'very glam' New Year's Eve event.
Trump has attended the party at his Mar-a-Lago private club for the past two decades, but Sunday night's festivities will be his first as President.
The President's supporters and members of his private club say the increased security measures and pricier tickets will be worth it.
'It's a very glam night. I think everyone is even more excited this year than last year, because then he was president-elect, he hadn't been sworn in,' supporter Toni Holt Kramer told the Washington Post.
Donald J. Trump Grand Ballroom at the Mar-A-Lago Club in Palm Beach is shown Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Ivanka, Jared and their children Arabella and Joseph arrive at a new year's party at the Mar-a-Lago resort
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and his wife Louise Linton arrive in all white for a New Year's Eve bash
But critics claim the lavish party is a way for Trump to promote his brand – even though he gave up running his hotel and real estate business when he was elected.
He still owns various properties, including Mar-a-Lago.
'The president continues to find ways to profit from public office, by exploiting the fact that there are people who will pay to spend time with him and to be seen with him,' according to Kathleen Clark, who is a government ethics expert at the Washington University School of Law.
Hundreds of people are expected to show for the red-carpet extravaganza, which usually includes cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, a four course dinner and entertainment.
Melania is seen smiling while she sits with guests at the annual New Year's Eve bash in the ballroom
The President stands with guests after arriving to the ballroom for the annual event said to be pricier than last year's
The official menu includes a first course of Trump's iceberg wedge salad with Roquefort, grape tomatoes, bacon, red onion and assorted dinner rolls.
The second course is Maine lobster ravioli with fennel mousseline, olive, citrus verjus sauce, Fox White House Producer Fin Gomez explained of the menu.
For the entree, the Trump's will serve sliced tenderloin and pan seared sea bass with taro root puree, morel mushrooms, roasted heirloom carrots, sweet cherries and burgundy jus.
Donald Trump Jr. took to Twitter on his 40th birthday to share a picture with father, President Trump. He wrote: 'Just hanging out with POTUS on #NYE!'
An interior view of the ballroom is shown as guest gather together to chat and celebrate the coming New Year
At least 600 people attended last year's sell-out party when tickets were $525 for members and $575 for guests.
This year, tickets have jumped to the whopping $750 for guests and $600 for members.
'I expect most of the members will want to be there. It's going to be fabulous,' Kramer said.
She added that the President would likely 'be the last one to leave the party, and the first one up in the morning, tweeting. Lucky for us, he doesn't need a lot of sleep.'
Donald Trump Jr. celebrates New Years Eve and his 40th birthday with his children as he runs in the sand and plays football with guests at Mar-A-Lago in West Palm Beach
Don Jr. was all smiles as he got on his knees to get in on the fun and build a sand castle with them on the final day of the year
The family played in the sand as they sported shorts and tees for the warm day on the beach
Also among the Sunday festivities, Donald Trump Jr. celebrated his 40th birthday.
The father-of-five was seen beaming while on the beach earlier in the day with his son, Donald Trump III, 8, Spencer, 5, and his youngest daughter, Chloe, 3.
The happy family ran in the sand, built sand castles and played football with guests at the resort at West Palm Beach.
Mar-a-Lago has been named the First Family's 'Winter White House.'
Don Jr. and his children walked along the beach in the early afternoon before the New Year's Eve celebrations
Don Jr. smiled for the cameras as he got some exercise in the sun and sand with his family
The Trump family is staying at the 'Winter Whitehouse' for the holiday season
The post The Trumps arrive swanky Mar-a-Lago New Year's Eve bash appeared first on News Wire Now.
Sydney seaplane crash: Exhaust fumes affected pilot, report confirms
The pilot of a seaplane that crashed into an Australian river, killing all on board, had been left confused and disorientated by leaking exhaust fumes, investigators have confirmed.
The Canadian pilot and five members of a British family died in the crash north of Sydney in December 2017.
All were found to have higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, a final report has found.
It recommended the mandatory fitting of gas detectors in all such planes.
British businessman Richard Cousins, 58, died alongside his 48-year-old fiancée, magazine editor Emma Bowden, her 11-year-old daughter Heather and his sons, Edward, 23, and William, 25, and pilot Gareth Morgan, 44. Mr Cousins was the chief executive of catering giant Compass.
The family had been on a sightseeing flight in the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane when it nose-dived into the Hawkesbury River at Jerusalem Bay, about 50km (30 miles) from the city centre.
The final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the findings of an interim report published in 2020.
It said pre-existing cracks in the exhaust collector ring were believed to have released exhaust gas into the engine bay. Holes left by missing bolts in a firewall then allowed the fumes to enter the cabin.
“As a result, the pilot would have almost certainly experienced effects such as confusion, visual disturbance and disorientation,” the report said.
“Consequently, it was likely that this significantly degraded the pilot’s ability to safely operate the aircraft.”
The ATSB recommended the Civil Aviation Safety Authority consider mandating the fitting of carbon monoxide detectors in piston-engine aircraft that carry passengers.
It previously issued safety advisory notices to owners and operators of such aircraft that they install detectors “with an active warning” to pilots”. Operators and maintainers of planes were also advised to carry out detailed inspections of exhaust systems and firewalls.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55862128
Australia unlikely to fully reopen border in 2021, says top official
Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.
The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.
Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus’ escalation in other nations.
Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia’s early action to close its borders last March.
“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.
“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue “for some time”.
Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.
Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – reopened bookings earlier this month, after saying it expected international travel to “begin to restart from July 2021.”
However, it added this depended on the Australian government’s deciding to reopen borders.
Australia’s tight restrictions
The country opened a travel bubble with neighbouring New Zealand late last year, but currently it only operates one-way with inbound flights to Australia.
Australia has also discussed the option of travel bubbles with other low-risk places such as Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.
A vaccination scheme is due to begin in Australia in late February. Local authorities have resisted calls to speed up the process, giving more time for regulatory approvals.
Australia has so far reported 909 deaths and about 22,000 cases, far fewer than many nations. It reported zero locally transmitted infections on Monday.
Experts have attributed much of Australia’s success to its swift border lockdown – which affected travellers from China as early as February – and a hotel quarantine system for people entering the country.
Local outbreaks have been caused by hotel quarantine breaches, including a second wave in Melbourne. The city’s residents endured a stringent four-month lockdown last year to successfully suppress the virus.
Other outbreaks – including one in Sydney which has infected about 200 people – prompted internal border closures between states, and other restrictions around Christmas time.
The state of Victoria said on Monday it would again allow entry to Sydney residents outside of designated “hotspots”, following a decline in cases.
While the measures have been praised, many have also criticised them for separating families across state borders and damaging businesses.
Dr Murphy said overall Australia’s virus response had been “pretty good” but he believed the nation could have introduced face masks earlier and improved its protections in aged care homes.
In recent days, Australia has granted entry to about 1,200 tennis players, staff and officials for the Australian Open. The contingent – which has recorded at least nine infections – is under quarantine.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55699581
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
The Australian city of Brisbane has begun a snap three-day lockdown after a cleaner in its hotel quarantine system became infected with coronavirus.
Health officials said the cleaner had the highly transmissible UK variant and they were afraid it could spread.
Brisbane has seen very few cases of the virus beyond quarantined travellers since Australia’s first wave last year.
It is the first known instance of this variant entering the Australian community outside of hotel quarantine.
The lockdown is for five populous council areas in Queensland’s state capital.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the measure on Friday morning local time, about 16 hours after the woman tested positive.
Ms Palaszczuk said the lockdown aimed to halt the virus as rapidly as possible, adding: “Doing three days now could avoid doing 30 days in the future.”
“I think everybody in Queensland… knows what we are seeing in the UK and other places around the world is high rates of infection from this particular strain,” she said.
“And we do not want to see that happening here in our great state.”
Australia has reported 28,500 coronavirus infections and 909 deaths since the pandemic began. By contrast, the US, which is the hardest-hit country, has recorded more than 21 million infections while nearly 362,000 people have died of the disease.The lockdown will begin at 18:00 on Friday (08:00 GMT) in the Brisbane city, Logan and the Ipswich, Moreton and Redlands local government areas.
Residents will only be allowed to leave home for certain reasons, such as buying essential items and seeking medical care.
For the first time, residents in those areas will also be required to wear masks outside of their homes.
Australia has faced sporadic outbreaks over the past year, with the most severe one in Melbourne triggering a lockdown for almost four months.
A pre-Christmas outbreak in Sydney caused fresh alarm, but aggressive testing and contact-tracing has kept infection numbers low. The city recorded four local cases on Friday.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s government has pledged to start mass vaccinations in February instead of March as was planned.
Lockdown interrupts ‘near normal’ life in Brisbane
Simon Atkinson, BBC News in Brisbane
At 8:00 today I popped to the local supermarket for some bread, milk – and because it’s summer here – a mango. I was pretty much the only customer.
When I went past the same shop a couple of hours later it was a different story – 50 people standing in the drizzle – queuing to get inside as others emerged with bulging shopping bags. “Heaps busier than Christmas,” a cheery trolley attendant told me. “It’s off the scale”.
Despite the “don’t panic” messages from authorities, pictures on social media show it’s a pattern being repeated across the city.
While shutdowns are common around the world, the tough and sudden stay-at-home order for Brisbane has caught people on the hop here after months of near normality.
But while such a rapid, hard lockdown off the back of just a single case of Covid-19 will seem crazy in some parts of the world, I’ve not come across too many people complaining.
And I don’t think that’s just because Aussies love to follow a rule. This is the first time the UK variant of the virus has been detected in the community in Australia.
And nobody here wants Brisbane to go through what Melbourne suffered last year. Even if it means going without mangoes.
Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55582836
Australia2 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Australia2 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Tech10 months ago
Search engine startup asks users to be the customer, not the product
Europe4 months ago
Covid: Flights shut down as EU discusses UK virus threat
Health4 months ago
Spain ‘to register’ those who refuse to have Covid-19 vaccine
Europe3 months ago
Post-Brexit trade: Is red tape chaos just ‘teething trouble’ as the UK government argues?
Australia3 months ago
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
Arts3 years ago
How a chain-link mosque at the Vancouver Biennale became a community hub