Top LatAm E-Commerce Sites: MercadoLibre Dominates With 48% of Visits
What: We looked at the retail websites with the most Latin American visitors, and specifically Mexican, in December 2017.
Why it matters: By paying attention to the number of Internet users who look for retail information online, we can get a good idea of the reach of e-commerce among Latin Americans, and particularly Mexicans, as well as the kind of transactions they prefer to complete based on the type of website they look for.
It is no secret that we're living in the era of digital transactions, and there is virtually no other sector where this is truer than retail. Buying online is easy, it's convenient, and everyone has at least tried it. E-commerce is expected to grow by 8-12% in the next couple of years; it's vital for marketers to keep an eye on who's doing a good job… and who isn't.
Top 10 E-Commerce Websites in Latin America, December 2017
|Total Audience, Home & Work, PC/Laptop Only||Total Unique Visitors/Viewers (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||193,562|
|8||Apple Worldwide Sites||9,583|
- [Source: comScore]
- Out of the total amount of internet users in Latin America, 64% visited e-commerce websites.
- Almost half (48%) of Latin Americans looking for retail options online visited MercadoLibre.
- 17.8% of users preferred to shop on Amazon websites.
- 15.6% of Latin American users were interested in finding out more about financial figures related to e-commerce on B2W Digital.
- Alibaba received 13.3% of Latin American visits.
- 9.9% of users visited the Wal-Mart website for shopping online.
- 8.8% of Latin American internet viewers visited CNova sites.
- Close behind is eBay, with 8.2% of users.
- 7.7% of Latin American e-shoppers visited Apple sites, while 7% preferred Google Shopping.
- Finally, Brazilian website Buscapé received 6.5% of visits.
Top 10 E-Commerce Websites in Mexico, December 2017
|Total Audience, Home & Work, PC/Laptop and Mobile Devices||Total Unique Visitors/Viewers (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||64,655|
- [Source: comScore]
- 67.5% of Mexicans with an Internet connection visited websites dedicated to shopping online.
- As in the rest of Latin America, MercadoLibre leads the list with 45% of visits; again, almost half of users.
- Amazon is still in second place, although not so far behind as in the rest of Latin America, with 26.6% of users.
- Wal-Mart is more relevant to Mexicans than to other Latin Americans: 23% of users in this country visited the company's online store.
- 18.2% of Mexican e-shoppers visited Linio sites.
- 17.5% of users looking for online stores decided to visit eBay.
- Coppel and Wishreceived similar amounts of visits, with 10.7% and 10.3% of users respectively.
- 9.8% of online shoppers decided to visit Samsung's website, while 9.1% went to Alibaba looking for shopping options.