Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri fires warning to Real Madrid over Eden Hazard transfer
Maurizio Sarri has fired a warning to Real Madrid over their pursuit of Eden Hazard by saying it is impossible that more Chelsea players will be sold this month.
While the English summer transfer window closed on Thursday, foreign clubs can still buy Premier League players for the remainder of the month.
Real Madrid have been strongly linked with a move for Hazard all summer and the Belgium international has previously hinted he would be open to a switch to the Spanish capital.
New Chelsea manager Sarri has appeared to end Real Madrids pursuit of Hazard, however, by claiming that no more Chelsea stars will be sold until at least January.
Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois left for Madrid earlier in the week in a move that forced Chelsea to sign Kepa Arrizabalaga in a world-record deal worth £71million.
Asked if he was worried about more players leaving Stamford Bridge this month, Sarri said: It is impossible. The market is closed for us.
Pressed on whether Chelsea had made any more progress in a new deal for Hazard, the Italian manager added: I dont want to discuss contracts.
It is not my job. My job is to improve players, not sign contracts. I have seen a player [Hazard] who is happy to be here.
Sarri, 59, also confirmed that experienced defender Cesar Azpilicueta will captain the Chelsea team on Saturday for their Premier League opener at Huddersfield Town.
Club-record signing Kepa is in contention to make his debut but only began training with his new team on Thursday evening.
For tomorrow Azpilicueta [will be captain], but it is not the final decision, the former Napoli boss said.
I want to know the players and the man and when my idea is clear I will make the decision.
I dont know [if Kepa will start]. He is in the players list, and then I will decide tomorrow.