Connect with us

World News

Iconic RM Williams Australian Again, After Billionaire Forrest Buys In

The iconic boot maker R.M. Williams is officially Australian owned again, after an investment group ..

Published

on

The iconic boot maker R.M. Williams is officially Australian owned again, after an investment group headed by billionaire Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest and his wife, Nicola purchased the company.

Tattarang acquired the 88-year-old company from US private equity firm L Catterton, bringing it back under Australian ownership for the first time since 2014. An expert believes Forrest will likely leverage his existing China connections to capitalise on its popularity with Chinese consumers.

Mr and Mrs Forrest said they looked forward to meeting the almost 900 RM Williams staff based in Australia, including 400 workers at its workshop in Salisbury, Adelaide.

“R.M. Williams is a quintessential Aussie brand with a long and proud history of high-quality Australian craftsmanship,” mining magnate Mr Forrest said in a statement released on Tattarang’s website.

“Andrew and I want to continue the legacy of this great company, and that means continuing to employ and support the Australians that have built and grown the brand,” Mrs Forrest said in the same statement.

Epoch Times Photo
Epoch Times Photo
Andrew Forrest addresses the media at UWA sports ground on October 25, 2019, in Perth, Australia. (Paul Kane/Getty Images)

“By bringing R.M. Williams back into Australian hands, we will ensure the Australian craftsmanship continues to be loved and worn all around the world,” she added.

R.M. Williams was founded in 1932 by bushman and entrepreneur Reginald Murray ‘R.M.’ Williams and is one of Australia’s most iconic brands.

Mr Forrest, who grew up on Minderoo Station in Western Australia’s Pilbara region, said R.M. Williams was deeply entrenched within Australian culture.

“To wear R.M.s is to wear the boots of the countless hard-working Australians that have come before us,” he said.

L Catterton had been looking for a buyer for R.M. Williams since May last year, with a mooted price of up to $500 million. Tattarang paid $190 million for the brand, according to the Australian Financial Review.

R.M. Williams provided the outfits for the 2008 outback film epic, Australia, which starred Hugh Jackman and Oscar winner Nicole Kidman.

Jackman has a stake in the company and was its brand ambassador, a position he is expected to retain.

Epoch Times Photo
Epoch Times Photo
Hugh Jackman as Logan, who is sent back in time to prevent the mutant genocide. (Alan Markfield/Twentieth Century Fox)

Forrest’s Tattarang is on the lookout for more iconic Australian brands and experiences.

“In the context of the current government policy to encourage manufacturing in Australia, it is a sensible approach. The Australian government focus on rebuilding the economy by buying local will help,” Dr. Rob Nicholls, associate professor at the University of New South Wales said.

“There are potential synergies from this as a domestic retail play. However, the portfolio of brands is likely to have a bigger impact in export sectors,” Nicholls told The Epoch Times on Oct. 19.

R.Read More – Source

Continue Reading

World News

Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh receive Covid-19 vaccine

Published

on

By

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh have received their Covid-19 vaccinations, a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said Saturday.

The inoculations were administered by a household doctor at Windsor Castle, a royal source said.
To prevent inaccuracies and further speculation, Her Majesty, who 94, decided that she would let it be known that she has had the vaccination, the source added. Her husband is 99 years old.
The couple’s son, Prince Charles, tested positive for coronavirus and went into isolation in March. The 72-year-old later said he was lucky to only experience mild symptoms, adding he’d “got away with it quite lightly.”
Meanwhile, their grandson Prince William, second-in-line to the British throne, also tested positive for coronavirus earlier this year, UK media reported, though exactly when he contracted the virus is unclear.
The UK has recorded more than 3 million cases of Covid-19 and more than 80,000 deaths, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University on Saturday.
The UK reported 1,325 coronavirus-related fatalities on Friday — its highest ever daily increase in deaths.
Health officials face a deadly start to 2021 as a new coronavirus variant, first detected in the UK, sweeps the nation.
In the capital, London’s mayor declared a “major incident” on Friday, warning that hospitals in the city were close to being overrun.
“The situation in London is now critical with the spread of the virus out of control,” Mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement.
“The number of cases in London has increased rapidly with more than a third more patients being treated in our hospitals now compared to the peak of the pandemic last April.
“We are declaring a major incident because the threat this virus poses to our city is at crisis point,” Khan added. “If we do not take immediate action now, our [National Health Service] could be overwhelmed and more people will die.”

Continue Reading

World News

Dozens killed in suspected jihadist attack in Niger

Published

on

By

Dozens of people were killed in an attack in Niger on Saturday, in a suspected jihadist attack.

The attack took place around 12:00 CET in the Tchomo-Bangou village in Tillabéri, a western region bordering Mali.

“The assailants surrounded the village and killed up to 50 people,” a local radio journalist said anonymously. “The wounded have been evacuated to the hospital in Ouallam.”

It came on the day provisional results for the first round of the presidential election, held on December 27, were released.

Mohamed Bazoum, the candidate for the ruling Party for Democracy and Socialism (PNDS) and a former interior minister, is in the lead with 39.3 per cent of the votes. Bazoum has vowed to strengthen the country’s fight against Islamist groups.

The second round of the election is to be held on February 21.

Niger has been a target for jihadist attacks for years, particularly in the western and southeastern parts of the country.

On December 21, six days before the presidential poll, seven soldiers were killed in Tillabéri. In May 2020, twenty people, including children, were also killed in two of the region’s villages.

Read from source: https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/03/dozens-killed-in-suspected-jihadist-attack-in-niger

Continue Reading

World News

Niger votes in presidential and legislative elections

Published

on

By

People in Niger began voting in the country’s presidential and parliamentary elections on Sunday.

Mohamed Bazoum, the right-hand man of outgoing President Mahamadou Issoufou is the favourite to win.

The sixty-year-old former interior minister is aiming for outright victory in the first round — something that no candidate has done before.

He’s focussing on security and education.

Over 7 million people are eligible to vote. But some voters, like Gambina Moumouni, simply want a president they can trust.

“We pray to Allah to choose us the president who has the most mercy for the people, a president who will not betray the country and who will not betray the trust of the people, that is our wish. It is also our wish that Allah may help to make the poor, the peasants, the (cattle) breeders happy.

Thirty candidates are standing including two former presidents and two former prime ministers, but according to seasoned observers in the region, the poll is arousing little enthusiasm among the population.

Niger is the world’s poorest according to the UN’s Human Development Index and also one of those hardest hit by climate change.

Read from source: https://www.euronews.com/2020/12/27/niger-votes-in-presidential-and-legislative-elections

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 , madridjournals.com