Tech
Enlarge / Indiana Chief Justice Loretta Rush.Indiana Supreme Court

An Indiana man may beat a drug prosecution after the state's highest court threw out a search warrant against him late last week. The search warrant was based on the idea that the man had "stolen" a GPS tracking device belonging to the government. But Indiana's Supreme Court concluded that he'd done no such thing—and the cops should have known it.

Last November, we wrote about the case of Derek Heuring, an Indiana man the Warrick County Sheriff's Office suspected of selling meth. Authorities got a warrant to put a GPS tracker on Heuring's car, getting a stream of data on his location for six days. But then the data stopped.

Officers suspected Heuring had discovered and removed the tracking device. After waiting for a few more days, they got a warrant to search his home and a barn belonging to his father. They argued the disappearance of the tracking device was evidence that Heuring had stolen it.

During their search, police found the tracking device and some methamphetamine. They charged Heuring with drug-related crimes as well as theft of the GPS device.

But at trial, Heuring's lawyers argued that the warrant to search the home and barn had been illegal. An application for a search warrant must provide probable cause to believe a crime was committed. But removing a small, unmarked object from your personal vehicle is no crime at all, Heuring's lawyers argued. Heuring had no way of knowing what the device was or who it belonged to—and certainly no obligation to leave the device on his vehicle.

An Indiana appeals court ruled against Heuring last year. But Indiana's Supreme Court seemed more sympathetic to Heuring's case during oral arguments last November.

"I'm really struggling with how is that theft," said Justice Steven David during November's oral arguments.

“We find it reckless”

Last Thursday, Indiana's highest court made it official, ruling that the search warrant that allowed police to recover Heuring's meth was illegal. The police had no more than a hunch that Heuring had removed the device, the court said, and that wasn't enough to get a search warrant.

Even if the police could have proved that Heuring had removed the device, that wouldn't prove he stole it, tRead More – Source

Tech
  • Diamond City Fenway Park in Boston, as seen in Apple Maps' Look Around feature. Samuel Axon
  • The US Capitol Building in Look Around.
  • The Philadelphia Museum of Art in Look Around. Samuel Axon
  • Boston Public Garden in Look Around. Samuel Axon
  • The White House in Look Around—or about as close as you can get, anyway. Samuel Axon
  • Philly's Reading Terminal Market in Look Around.
  • Harvard Square in Look Around. Samuel Axon
  • DC's Washington Monument in Look Around. Samuel Axon

Apple Maps has been slowly expanding regional coverage for its Google Street View-like Look Around feature, and now MacRumors forum members have spotted rollouts for the feature in the US cities of Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington DC.

Look Around was added as a feature in iOS 13 last September, but it launched with coverage only in or near San Francisco. Like Google Street View, the feature allows users to zoom in to street-level photography of most streets in an urban area. Apple displays Yelp listings and other data on real-world buildings and monuments in the viewport when Look Around is displayed in full screen.

Generally, we have observed that the resolution and quality of the photography is better than what we've usually seen in Google's version, and Apple applies some slick anRead More – Source

Tech
Enlarge / World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus gives a press conference on the situation regarding the COVID-19 at Geneva's WHO headquarters on February 24, 2020. Getty | Fabrice Coffrini

As outbreaks of the new coronavirus flare up in several countries beyond China, experts at the World Health Organization on Monday tried to rein in fears and media speculation that the public health emergency will become a pandemic.

“I have spoken consistently about the need for facts, not fear,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a press briefing Monday. “Using the word pandemic now does not fit the facts, but it may certainly cause fear.”

As always, the director-general (who goes by Dr. Tedros) and his colleagues at WHO tried to shift the conversation away from speculation and worst-case scenarios. Instead, they want to focus on data and preparation. In doing so, though, Dr. Tedros noted that some of the latest figures in the epidemic are “deeply concerning.”

Since last week, officials have reported rapid increases in COVID-19 cases in several countries, namely South Korea, Iran, and Italy. As of Monday, February 24, South Korea has confirmed 763 cases and 7 deaths—a dramatic rise from the 30 cases and zero deaths it had tallied just a week ago.

The situation in Italy, likewise, went from 3 cases at the start of last week to 124 confirmed cases and two deaths Monday. Iran went from zero to 43 cases in the same period and has reported eight deaths.

The figures have led to many media reports over the weekend speculating on whether the new coronavirus outbreak is or would become a pandemic. For now, Dr. Tedros said, it is not.

“Our decision about whether to use the word pandemic to describe an epidemic is based on an ongoing assessment of the geographical spread of the virus, the severity of disease it causes and the impact it has on the whole of society,” he explained. “For the moment, we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this virus, and we are not witnessing large-scale severe disease or death.”

Assessing risk

Dr. Tedros summarized some of the latest data on cases and disease from China, noting that cases there are in decline and have been declining since February 2.

In Wuhan, where the outbreak began in December, the COVID-19 fatality rate appears to be between 2 percent and 4 percent. US experts have noted that this high fatality rate may partly reflect the fact that health systems in the city have been extremely overwhelmed by the outbreak and facilities have run short of medical supplies.

Outside of Wuhan, the COVID-19 fatality rate in China is approximately 0.7 percent, Dr. Tedros said. But many public health experts have suggested that even that figure may be higher than the actual fatality rate because many mild, nonfatal cases may have gone uncounted. If counted, they would dilute the death toll, leading to a lower fatality rate.

For people who have mild infections—which is over 80 percent of cases, according to Chinese data—recovery takes about two weeks. More severe infections can take three to six weeks until recovery.

Dr. Tedros also reported that the coronavirus itself does not appear to be mutating.

“The key message that should give all countries hope, courage, and confidence is that this virus can be contained,” Dr. Tedros said of the latest assessment from China.

“Does this virus have pandemic potential? Absolutely, it has. Are we there yet? From our assessment, not yet.”

Tomorrow, a team of experts from WHO and China will reveal more details on a technical repoRead More – Source

Tech

Online retailers in Italy have found an easy way to take advantage of widespread coronavirus panic: hawking sold-out products for exorbitant prices.

While pharmacies run out of sanitizing products and masks, the same items appeared online at inflated prices set by individual merchants.

A 250 ml. bottle of Amuchina — a popular hand sanitizer which normally costs €7.50 — was sold for €50 on eBay Monday. A one-liter bottle of the same product reached a record price of €799.

Overpriced common products were displayed as specifically conceived to protect against the virus, even if they are not.

Politicians and consumer groups promptly pointed the finger at online merchants and platforms.

“This is not free market [but] a shameful speculation that has to be stopped immediately,” reads a parliamentary question submitted Monday by Partito Democratico MP Marianna Madia. The center-left group is part of the governing coalition.

Codacons, a major Italian consumer organization, filed a complaint Monday with 104 public prosecutors offices across the country. It also notified the Italian antitrust watchdog, accusing vendors of fraud and unfair commercial practices.

Even if prices displayed on e-commerce websites such as Amazon or eBay are freely determined by merchants according to supply and demand, the organization believes that platforms should share the blame.

Amazon made clear in a statement that only sellers have the power to determine prices, and promised to delete pages which do not comply with internal rules. Consumer groups, however, see things differently.

Even Read More – Source

Australia

Bellevue Gold Ltd (ASX:BGL) has lifted total gold resources at its high-grade Bellevue Project in Western Australia by 23% to 6.1 million tonnes at 11.3 g/t for 2.2 million contained ounces.

The increase stems from the declaration of the maiden resource of 1 million tonnes at 12.3 g/t for 400,000 ounces at the Deacon Lode.

Shares have increased by 11% to an intra-day high of 65.5 cents, up from 45.5 cents on February 5, before closing at 64 cents.

Bellevue managing director Steve Parsons said the increased resource demonstrated the huge potential unfolding at the project.

“The increased resource further strengthens the outlook for our maiden indicated resource, which is set for release in the coming quarter.

“It also highlights the immense scope for ongoing growth in the inventory at Bellevue, as shown by the numerous high-grade intersections which remain outside the resource at Deacon.”

Results outside current resource

Drilling to date has returned results from several drill holes to the north that sit outside of the current resource area, including:

  • 3 metres at 12.0 g/t gold from 571 metres
  • 4.5 metres at 6.6 g/t from 635.6 metres
  • 1-metre at 23.8 g/t from 599.8 metres

A recent scout 200 metre step-out to the north extended the known strike of the mineralisation to 2 kilometres with results including 0.4 metres at 25.5 g/t from 517 metres and 0.8 metres at 8.8 g/t from 642 metres – the reported resource only covers 900 metres of the known strike.

Further drilling is being conducted in these areas to bring it into resource category in the near term.

“Becoming a substantial gold producer”

Parsons said: “Bellevue now has genuine scale.

“It is in the backyardRead More – Source

Australia

Bellevue Gold Ltd (ASX:BGL) recently lifted the total gold resources at its high-grade Bellevue Project in Western Australia by 23% to 6.1 million tonnes at 11.3 g/t for 2.2 million contained ounces.

The increase stems from the declaration of the maiden resource of 1 million tonnes at 12.3 g/t for 400,000 ounces at the Deacon Lode.

Canaccord Genuity has reiterated its speculative buy rating for Bellevue with a price target of $1.10.

Following is an extract from Canaccords research update:

Catalyst rich 2020 awaits…

We highlighted BGL in our recent Top Stock Picks note (here) as the most exciting exploration/development story in the Australian gold space, a view we continue to hold. BGL has been a relative under-performer against the sector over the past 12 months (A$ gold +25%, XGD +20%, BGL -8%), and while infill drilling can be loveless from a market perspective, the expected near-term Resource upgrades, and implications for the scale and validity of the project are being underappreciated, in our view.

What's in store for 2020. In deriving our base case valuation on BGL +12 months ago, we made a number of assumptions that, in our view, remain on track to be validated or exceeded during 2020.

  • Maiden Inferred Resource for Deacon/Mavis expected in the MarQ'20. Deacon/Mavis was discovered in 2H 2019, and with mineralisation defined over +1.5km strike length, the orebody is emerging as a meaningful potential addition to the Resource base. Drilling has primarily focused on a ~500m panel within the mineralised corridor, which in our view should see a maiden Inferred Resource of 250-350koz at 8-10g/t released shortly, taking the total Inferred Resource to +2Moz. As drilling continues, we see good scope for Deacon/Mavis to support 500koz-1Moz within 12 months.
  • Maiden Indicated Resource for Tribune, Viago and Bellevue expected in the JunQ'20. Infill has been the focus for essentially six of the eight diamond rigs on site, targeting the shallower parts of the current 1.8Moz at 11g/t Resource. We see good scope for a maiden Indicated Resource of 350-500koz at 8-11g/t, with grade likely to depend on the ratio of Tribune (8g/t, shallower) and Viago (16g/t, deeper) included in the update. Infill results released today continue to strongly support BGLs geological model, which predicts gently plunging, high-grade shoots within the mineralised envelops, an interpretation consistent with shoots that were mined at the Bellevue underground mine. Importantly, the results from all the Resource domains currently targeted with infill drilling confirm robust underground mineable widths and grades of the lodes and excellent continuity to the plunging ore shoots. Highlights from the latest infill drilling include: 1) Viago – 4.7m at 33g/t, 3.2m at 21g/t, 4.6m at 10g/t; 2) Tribune – 5.7m at 17g/t, 8.2m at 8g/t, 3m at 36g/t; and 3) Bellevue Lode – 4.3m at 28g/t, 2.5m at 22g/t, 2.4m at 23g/t. With an aggressive infill drilling program ongoing and potential access to underground the 2H 2020Read More – Source
Australia

Peel Mining Ltd (ASX:PEX) completed a program of about 11,000 metres of drilling from August through to December 2019 primarily designed to develop a higher confidence resource at the Wagga Tank-Southern Nights Project in NSW.

A new high-grade zone at the southern end of the Southern Nights deposit returned further strong assay results including some of the highest-grade gold mineralisation intersected at Southern Nights to date.

Given the dearth of quality base metal development stories in Australia, Hartleys is excited by the potential offerings PEX brings to market.

Hartleys has maintained its speculative buy recommendation for Peel with a 12-month price target of 38 cents per share.

Following is an extract from Hartleys research report:

Transitioning from Explorer to Developer

We recently visited Peel Mining Limiteds (PEX) projects within the southern Cobar Basin in NSW. The Company has been actively exploring in the region since 2010 and has a large ground holding covering over 5,000km2 . Having uncovered 3 deposits in 7 years; the 100%-owned Wagga Tank-Southern Nights Zn-Pb-Ag deposit (WT-SN), the Mallee Bull Cu deposit (JV with CBH Resources); and the Wirlong Cu prospect (JV with JOGMEC), PEX is building critical mass to develop the regions next polymetallic operation(s).

Site Visit – numerous quality targets and development options

We visited WT-SN, Mallee Bull and the Wirlong Cu Project where diamond drilling is currently underway. There are also numerous compelling exploration and brownfield targets that the Company intends to drill test; namely the Double Peak target, which is a Tenant Creek style Bi anomaly. We also visited the historic Mt Allen adit where gold mining was undertaken in the early 1900s and the May Day open pit which was mined for gold in the 1990s. Additional gold credits would enhance PEXs appeal in our view.

How best to deploy capital? Decision Time…

While PEX has a number of highly prospective exploration targets as well as extensional opportunities at its existing deposits, a decision must be made as to where best deploy its limited capital; further exploration or development? Although the current resources may not be at a sufficient size to justify standalone operations in our view, the Company recently reported that internal scoping/option studies highlighted the potential for a combined WTSN and Mallee Bull project to offer a critical mass of mining inventory to support a new processing hub in the Southern Cobar Basin. We see this as a positive development and await further information from PEX. With drilling underway at Wirlong, the Company may gain sufficient data to undertake a maiden resource for this copper prospect later this year, thus adding further mass to its growing inventory. With CBHs (Toho) diminishing presence and potential exist from the region, PEX may be able to acquire the other 50% of Mallee Bull. Given CBH has invested ~A$13M in the project to date, one could expect the JapaRead More – Source

Australia

Salt Lake Potash Ltd (ASX:SO4) (LON:SO4) (FRA:W1D) (OTCMKTS:WHELF) has completed the second stage of on-lake construction at its sulphate of potash (SOP) from its Lake Way Project in Western Australia.

Stage 2 includes 275 hectares of brine evaporation ponds which will provide feed salts to the process plant in 2021.

In total, Salt Lake has now completed construction of 400 hectares of evaporation ponds and 35 kilometres of brine abstraction trenches.

Focus now on building processing plant

The focus has now shifted to the construction of the processing plant as well as other non-process infrastructure.

Ground clearing and early-stage civil activity has commenced.

Salt Lakes CEO Tony Swiericzuk said: “The rapid delivery of the Lake Way SOP Project continues.

“Completion of the Stage 2 ponds, ahead of schedule and on budget, means the company now has the infrastructure in place to supply harvest salts to the process plant in 2021.

“As these key milestones are completed the project continues to be significantly de-risked with expected first SOP production now just 10 months away.”

Read More – Source