Born in Borriol, a town on Spain's the east coast near Castellón, Garcia is a keen supporter of the Real Madrid soccer team.Follow @cnnsportFollowing his Masters triumph earlier this year, Garcia was even invited to take part in the ceremonial kick-off ahead of the "El Clasico" match between Real and Barcelona — one of the fiercest rivalries of Spanish sports.And now the former world No. 2, who has traveled the world during his golf career, has become the latest high-profile athlete to comment on the Catalan independence debate, encouraging unity as widespread protests continue across the country. "The only thing I can say is what I feel," Garcia told CNN's Living Golf show, putting his hands to his heart."As a Spaniard, I think that there's [already] so many bad things happening in the world, it feels wrong to separate each other," added the 37-year-old, who was speaking to CNN north of Barcelona near Girona.
Hundreds of thousands have taken to the streets of Barcelona in recent days following the dismissal of Catalonia president Carles Puigdemont and the region's cabinet. On Friday, Madrid took unprecedented measures to quash the region's bid to split from Spain, deposing Puigdemont who led the independence drive. "It is a very touchy subject," said Garcia, who won the first major of his career at Augusta. "Obviously I'm not a politician and I'm not going to start being one.WATCH: The latest episode of CNN Living Golf "Hopefully everything gets fixed and hopefully everybody's happy with the decision that comes around it. "I think we should be looking into everybody. Not only Spain and Catalonia but everybody getting closer together to make this world better."
Sport meets politics
Garcia is not the only major Spanish sports star to speak out since the crisis in Spain escalated. Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has defended Catalonia's right to vote, previously hinting he could retire from international football should Spain head coach Julen Lopetegui or the Spanish federation regard his political stance as problematic."I think Spain-Catalonia is like a father and son where the son is 18 years old and wants to leave home," said Pique."Spain has the choice to just say no or to sit down and talk. I don't see what you have to lose by talking. Dialogue brings people together."READ: Golf star hoping for "fun day" with Donald TrumpTennis great Rafael Nadal, winner of two majors in 2017, said he watched the police crackdown on October 1st's disputed vote with "concern and sadness." "I want to cry when I see a country where we have known how to co-exist and be a good example to the rest of the world get to a situation like this," said Nadal. The European Union, for its part, has backed Madrid in its handling of the matter, with European Council President Donald Tusk tweeting: "I hope the Spanish government favors force of argument, not argument of force." Visit CNN.com/sport/golf for more news and features Puigdemont insisted: "Dialogue has been, and always will be, our choice to solve political situations and achieve political solutions."
Ukraine crisis: Why Russia-US talks may prove crucial
Senior diplomats from the US and Russia are meeting in the Swiss city of Geneva for the first of a series of crunch talks aimed at defusing tension over Ukraine.
The stakes for these talks on Monday are high. But both sides hold wildly different expectations. The US and other Western powers want to dissuade Russia from invading Ukraine.
But Russia wants to talk about its maximalist demands for Nato to retreat from eastern Europe. It’s calling for Nato to pull its forces out of former Soviet countries, end any eastern expansion and rule out Ukraine joining the alliance.
Some US officials fear these demands are deliberately unrealistic, designed to be rejected and used as a pretext for military action. Other diplomats believe Russian President Vladimir Putin is aiming high to squeeze concessions out of a Western alliance that is willing to give ground to avoid war.
They say the Russian president is effectively demanding an end to Europe’s post-Cold War security architecture and the establishment of a Russian “sphere of influence”.
A high price
Given this, the US and Nato have dismissed most of Russia’s demands as “non-starters”. And the US has categorically denied reports it is considering possible troop reductions.
But American officials have said they are willing to look at curbs on military exercises and missile deployments.
One idea is a partial revival of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that the US abandoned in 2019 after Russia was accused of breaching its provisions. Other ideas are more measures to build confidence and greater transparency between Russia and the US.
The fear among some European allies is that even this would be too much of a reward for Russia, too high a price for trying to avoid conflict in Ukraine.
They fear the US might be willing to concede too much so it can focus more on China and domestic challenges, such as the Covid-19 pandemic and the economy.
The US is aware of these fears and repeatedly insists it will not agree anything about Ukraine or European security without those countries involved.
Either way, President Putin has already made some gains, winning a platform this week to air his grievances and force the US and Europe to engage with his agenda of Nato reform.
Both sides are playing down expectations of an immediate deal. But that does not mean this week’s talks are not important.
A crucial staging post
At best, the talks could shed more light on Mr Putin’s intentions and reveal if he is serious about engaging in diplomacy.
At worst, a breakdown could lead to war, allowing Mr Putin to claim to his domestic audience that the West was not willing to talk and agree to his demands, and he was thus forced to act to ensure Russia’s security.
Western diplomats say they are ready for what they see as this false narrative: hence the Nato Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, insisting the alliance is ready for any Russian military action, and the firm warnings from the US and Europe that any invasion would be met with massive economic sanctions.
So, this week’s talks could prove a crucial diplomatic staging post, with the fate of Ukraine and Europe’s post-Cold War security architecture in the balance.
Russia fines Google over illegal content breach
bbc– A Moscow court has fined Google 7.2bn roubles ($98m; £73m) for repeated failure to delete content deemed illegal in Russia.
Details of the offending content were not specified in the announcement by the court’s press service.
This is the first time in Russia that a technology giant has been hit with a fine based on their annual turnover.
Google told AFP news agency that it would study the court ruling before deciding on further steps.
Russian authorities have increased pressure on tech firms this year, accusing them of not moderating their content properly, and interfering in the country’s internal affairs.
Hours after the Google verdict was announced, a 2bn rouble fine was handed to Meta, the parent company of Facebook, for similar content-related offences.
Earlier this week, Twitter was also handed a 3m rouble fine for similar charges.
This is not Google’s first brush with Russian authorities over content laws. In May, Russia’s media watchdog threatened to slow down the speed of Google if it failed to delete 26,000 instances of unlawful content, which it said related to drugs, violence and extremism.
President Vladimir Putin has pushed for development of a so-called sovereign internet, which would give the government more control over what its citizens can access.
Critics have accused Russia of using the campaign to clamp down on free speech and online dissent.
The country’s media regulator has blocked dozens of websites linked to jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny, whose campaign groups have been labelled “extremist”.
Google and Apple were also forced to remove an app dedicated to Navalny’s “Smart Voting” campaign, which gave users advice on tactical voting to unseat Kremlin-aligned politicians.
Websites like LinkedIn and Dailymotion have already been blocked for refusing to co-operate with authorities, and six major providers of Virtual Personal Networks (VPNs) – which help users to conceal their online activities – have been banned.
Earlier this year, Russia also introduced a new law requiring all new smartphones, computers and smart devices sold in the country to be pre-installed with Russian-made software and apps.
The government said the move would help Russian tech firms compete with foreign rivals.
Japanese billionaire returns to Earth from space trip
dw- Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa returned to Earth on Monday after spending 12 days on board the International Space Station, Russia’s space agency Roscosmos said.
Maezawa is a fashion tycoon who sold his online fashion business Zozo to SoftBank in 2019. Forbes estimates his worth as $1.9 (€1.69) billion.
What was the trip like?
Maezawa parachuted onto Kazakhstan’s steppe at around the planned time of 0313 GMT, along with his assistant and film producer Yozo Hirano, and Russian cosmonaut Alexander Misurkin.
The landing site was located 150 kilometers southeast of Zhezkazgan in central Kazakhstan, where there was precipitation and sub-zero temperatures.
Maezawa made the trip in a Russian ‘Soyuz’ spacecraft and became the first space tourist to travel to the International Space Station in more than a decade.
The entrepreneur made a variety of posts on social media from his trip, including photos from space of his home prefecture of Chiba, and videos showing how to make tea in zero gravity and discussing his shortage of fresh underwear.
What did Maezawa say about the trip?
In a live interview from the orbiting space station, Maezawa said that “once you are in space, you realize how much it is worth it by having this amazing experience.”
When asked about claims that he had paid more than $80 million (€71 million) for the trip, Maezawa said he couldn’t disclose the exact sum but admitted that he paid “pretty much” that much.
Maezawa is currently searching for eight people to join him on a trip to the moon in 2023. Applicants are required to pass medical tests and an interview.
Australia3 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Australia3 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Tech2 years ago
Search engine startup asks users to be the customer, not the product
Europe1 year ago
Covid: Flights shut down as EU discusses UK virus threat
Europe12 months ago
Post-Brexit trade: Is red tape chaos just ‘teething trouble’ as the UK government argues?
Health1 year ago
Spain ‘to register’ those who refuse to have Covid-19 vaccine
Australia1 year ago
Covid: Brisbane to enter three-day lockdown over single infection
Arts3 years ago
How a chain-link mosque at the Vancouver Biennale became a community hub