Connect with us

Australia

Jose Mourinho leaves court in Madrid after tax hearing

Jose Mourinho arrived in Spain on Friday morning for a tax fraud hearing The Portuguese boss is accu..

Published

on

  • Jose Mourinho arrived in Spain on Friday morning for a tax fraud hearing
  • The Portuguese boss is accused of defrauding the authorities of £2.9million
  • Manchester United face title rivals Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday
  • Mourinho was mobbed by Spanish journalists on his way in and out of court

By Daniel Matthews and Chris Wheeler for MailOnline

Published: 05:23 EDT, 3 November 2017 | Updated: 05:50 EDT, 3 November 2017

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has left court in Madrid after facing a hearing in his million-pound fraud case.

Mourinho is accused of defrauding the Spanish tax authorities of £2.9million during his time in charge of Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013 by not declaring profits from image rights.

The Portuguese manager, who has denied the charges, was mobbed by photographers and reporters on his way into and out of the hearing, which comes just two days before United face title rivals Chelsea.

Jose Mourinho arrives in Madrid for a hearing into his alleged defrauding of tax authorities

Jose Mourinho arrives in Madrid for a hearing into his alleged defrauding of tax authorities

The Manchester United manager was met by cameras and reporters on his way into courtThe Manchester United manager was met by cameras and reporters on his way into court

The Manchester United manager was met by cameras and reporters on his way into court

Mourinho's court case comes two days before his side face rivals Chelsea at Stamford BridgeMourinho's court case comes two days before his side face rivals Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

Mourinho's court case comes two days before his side face rivals Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

The case has threatened to disrupt United's preparations for their crucial trip to face his former side at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon.

The club brought Mourinho's weekly press conference forward 24 hours from its usual slot to Thursday, while his No 2 Rui Faria and his coaching staff will oversee training when he is out of the country.

He settled a previous claim against him in 2014, paying a penalty of £1m, but prosecutors claimed in June that some of the information in that settlement was incorrect.

JOSE MOURINHO TAX CASE: Q&A

What is Mourinho alleged to have done?

The Spanish authorities opened a case against the 54-year-old in June for alleged tax evasion during his time as Real Madrid boss. It is claimed he did not declare revenue related to his image rights in 2011 and 2012 and owes the Spanish state around £2.9million.

What has Mourinho said?

He has said very little on the matter. His representatives, Gestifute Media, issued a statement in June insisting Mourinho had complied with his tax obligations.

It said Mourinho had paid more than €26 million (£23million) in tax in Spain at an average rate of more than 41 per cent and that, in 2015, he had accepted "regularisation proposals" and a settlement agreement regarding previous years.

The statement continued: "The Spanish government in turn, through the tax department, issued a certificate in which it attested that he had regularised his position and was in compliance with all his tax obligations."

Is this an unusual case?

Not really. The Spanish authorities have been cracking down on allegations of tax fraud and a number of leading figures in football have been investigated.

Argentinians Angel Di Maria, Javier Mascherano and Lionel Messi have all been punished for tax evasion in recent years, while Cristiano Ronaldo is currently fighting tax fraud charges and strenuously denies wrongdoing.

Messi was fined €2.1 million (£1.8million) and received a 21-month prison sentence last year after he and his father were found guilty of defrauding the tax department to the tune of €4.1 million (£3.5million). Messi is not expected to serve time in jail.

 The Portuguese manager, 54, has denied the charges and says his taxes have been paid in full The Portuguese manager, 54, has denied the charges and says his taxes have been paid in full

The Portuguese manager, 54, has denied the charges and says his taxes have been paid in full

Mourinho faces the microphones of reporters as he makes his way into the hearing in MadridMourinho faces the microphones of reporters as he makes his way into the hearing in Madrid

Mourinho faces the microphones of reporters as he makes his way into the hearing in Madrid

Mourinho responded by issuing a statement insisting that his taxes had been paid in full.

It read: 'Jose Mourinho has not received any notification with regards to the news published today.

'To this date, neither the Spanish tax authorities, not the public prosecutor have contacted Jose Mourinho or his advisers who were hired for the inspection process.

'Jose Mourinho, who lived in Spain from June 2010 until May 2013, paid more than €26m (£22.7m) in taxes, with an average tax rate over 41 per cent, and accepted the regularisation proposals made by the Spanish tax authorities in 2015 regarding the years 2011 and 2012 and entering into a settlement agreement regarding 2013.'

Mourinho leaves court following the hearing in Madrid into his alleged defrauding of taxMourinho leaves court following the hearing in Madrid into his alleged defrauding of tax

Mourinho leaves court following the hearing in Madrid into his alleged defrauding of tax

No 2 Rui Faria and his coaching staff have overseen training while he is out of the countryNo 2 Rui Faria and his coaching staff have overseen training while he is out of the country

No 2 Rui Faria and his coaching staff have overseen training while he is out of the country

Let's block ads! (Why?)

[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Australia

Australia resists calls for tougher climate targets

Published

on

By

Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison has resisted pressure to set more ambitious carbon emission targets while other major nations vowed deeper reductions to tackle climate change.

Addressing a global climate summit, Mr Morrison said Australia was on a path to net zero emissions.

But he stopped short of setting a timeline, saying the country would get there “as soon as possible”.

It came as the US, Canada and Japan set new commitments for steeper cuts.

US President Joe Biden, who chaired the virtual summit, pledged to cut carbon emissions by 50-52% below 2005 levels by the year 2030. This new target essentially doubles the previous US promise.

By contrast, Australia will stick with its existing pledge of cutting carbon emissions by 26%-28% below 2005 levels, by 2030. That’s in line with the Paris climate agreement, though Mr Morrison said Australia was on a pathway to net zero emissions.

“Our goal is to get there as soon as we possibly can, through technology that enables and transforms our industries, not taxes that eliminate them and the jobs and livelihoods they support and create,” he told the summit.

“Future generations… will thank us not for what we have promised, but what we deliver.”

Australia is one of the world’s biggest carbon emitters on a per capita basis. Mr Morrison, who has faced sustained criticism over climate policy, said action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions would focus on technology.

The prime minister said Australia is deploying renewable energy 10 times faster than the global average per person, and has the highest uptake of rooftop solar panels in the world.

Mr Morrison added Australia would invest $20bn ($15.4bn; 11.1bn) “to achieve ambitious goals that will bring the cost of clean hydrogen, green steel, energy storage and carbon capture to commercial parity”.

“You can always be sure that the commitments Australia makes to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are bankable.”

Australia has seen growing international pressure to step up its efforts to cut emissions and tackle global warming. The country has warmed on average by 1.4 degrees C since national records began in 1910, according to its science and weather agencies. That’s led to an increase in the number of extreme heat events, as well as increased fire danger days.

Ahead of the summit, President Biden’s team urged countries that have been slow to embrace action on climate change to raise their ambition. While many nations heeded the call, big emitters China and India also made no new commitments.

“Scientists tell us that this is the decisive decade – this is the decade we must make decisions that will avoid the worst consequences of the climate crisis,” President Biden said at the summit’s opening address.

Referring to America’s new carbon-cutting pledge, President Biden added: “The signs are unmistakable, the science is undeniable, and the cost of inaction keeps mounting.”

Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56854558

Continue Reading

Australia

Sydney seaplane crash: Exhaust fumes affected pilot, report confirms

Published

on

By

The pilot of a seaplane that crashed into an Australian river, killing all on board, had been left confused and disorientated by leaking exhaust fumes, investigators have confirmed.

The Canadian pilot and five members of a British family died in the crash north of Sydney in December 2017.

All were found to have higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, a final report has found.

It recommended the mandatory fitting of gas detectors in all such planes.

British businessman Richard Cousins, 58, died alongside his 48-year-old fiancée, magazine editor Emma Bowden, her 11-year-old daughter Heather and his sons, Edward, 23, and William, 25, and pilot Gareth Morgan, 44. Mr Cousins was the chief executive of catering giant Compass.

The family had been on a sightseeing flight in the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver plane when it nose-dived into the Hawkesbury River at Jerusalem Bay, about 50km (30 miles) from the city centre.

The final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the findings of an interim report published in 2020.

It said pre-existing cracks in the exhaust collector ring were believed to have released exhaust gas into the engine bay. Holes left by missing bolts in a firewall then allowed the fumes to enter the cabin.

“As a result, the pilot would have almost certainly experienced effects such as confusion, visual disturbance and disorientation,” the report said.

“Consequently, it was likely that this significantly degraded the pilot’s ability to safely operate the aircraft.”

The ATSB recommended the Civil Aviation Safety Authority consider mandating the fitting of carbon monoxide detectors in piston-engine aircraft that carry passengers.

It previously issued safety advisory notices to owners and operators of such aircraft that they install detectors “with an active warning” to pilots”. Operators and maintainers of planes were also advised to carry out detailed inspections of exhaust systems and firewalls.

Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55862128

Continue Reading

Australia

Australia unlikely to fully reopen border in 2021, says top official

Published

on

By

Australia is unlikely to fully open its borders in 2021 even if most of its population gets vaccinated this year as planned, says a senior health official.

The comments dampen hopes raised by airlines that travel to and from the country could resume as early as July.

Department of Health Secretary Brendan Murphy made the prediction after being asked about the coronavirus’ escalation in other nations.

Dr Murphy spearheaded Australia’s early action to close its borders last March.

“I think that we’ll go most of this year with still substantial border restrictions,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Monday.

“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus,” he said, adding that he believed quarantine requirements for travellers would continue “for some time”.

Citizens, permanent residents and those with exemptions are allowed to enter Australia if they complete a 14-day hotel quarantine at their own expense.

Qantas – Australia’s national carrier – reopened bookings earlier this month, after saying it expected international travel to “begin to restart from July 2021.”

However, it added this depended on the Australian government’s deciding to reopen borders.

Australia’s tight restrictions

The country opened a travel bubble with neighbouring New Zealand late last year, but currently it only operates one-way with inbound flights to Australia.

Australia has also discussed the option of travel bubbles with other low-risk places such as Taiwan, Japan and Singapore.

A vaccination scheme is due to begin in Australia in late February. Local authorities have resisted calls to speed up the process, giving more time for regulatory approvals.

Australia has so far reported 909 deaths and about 22,000 cases, far fewer than many nations. It reported zero locally transmitted infections on Monday.

Experts have attributed much of Australia’s success to its swift border lockdown – which affected travellers from China as early as February – and a hotel quarantine system for people entering the country.

Local outbreaks have been caused by hotel quarantine breaches, including a second wave in Melbourne. The city’s residents endured a stringent four-month lockdown last year to successfully suppress the virus.

Other outbreaks – including one in Sydney which has infected about 200 people – prompted internal border closures between states, and other restrictions around Christmas time.

The state of Victoria said on Monday it would again allow entry to Sydney residents outside of designated “hotspots”, following a decline in cases.

While the measures have been praised, many have also criticised them for separating families across state borders and damaging businesses.

Dr Murphy said overall Australia’s virus response had been “pretty good” but he believed the nation could have introduced face masks earlier and improved its protections in aged care homes.

In recent days, Australia has granted entry to about 1,200 tennis players, staff and officials for the Australian Open. The contingent – which has recorded at least nine infections – is under quarantine.

Read from source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55699581

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 , madridjournals.com