Connect with us

Australia

Stabbing in Blacktown may be retaliation for a bashing

Police charged a teenager over alleged stabbing of an 18-year-old in Blacktown The man was allegedly..

Published

on

  • Police charged a teenager over alleged stabbing of an 18-year-old in Blacktown
  • The man was allegedly stabbed in the heart outside a Westpoint shopping centre
  • Emergency services were called to Blacktown, Sydney's West at 2pm Thursday
  • Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital in critical condition
  • Disturbing footage of the attack was captured by an alleged terror sympathiser
  • Family of the alleged attacker say his cousin was bashed just a few days earlier

By Kate Darvall and Sam Duncan For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 18:34 EDT, 2 November 2017 | Updated: 18:34 EDT, 2 November 2017

The family of a teenager accused of brutally stabbing a man, 18, outside a busy Sydney shopping strip said the attack was retaliation for an earlier bashing.

John Kelly, 18, is fighting for his life after he was stabbed in the heart outside Westpoint shopping centre in Blacktown, western Sydney, about 2pm on Thursday.

Disturbing footage emerged soon after the attack showing a man wielding a knife running through the streets, as terrified shoppers fled from the scene.

Scroll down for video

A confronting photo surfaced online soon after the incident, showing a man dressed in a black Adidas shirt and grey tracksuit pants, wielding a knife in his right hand

A confronting photo surfaced online soon after the incident, showing a man dressed in a black Adidas shirt and grey tracksuit pants, wielding a knife in his right hand

The alleged attack may have been in retaliation after the 17-year-old's cousin was bashed earlier in the week, according toThe Daily Telegraph.

The 17-year-old male was arrested at a home in Seven Hills and taken to Blacktown Police Station on Thursday afternoon.

He was charged with common assault and wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and refused bail to appear at a children's court on Friday.

Footage of the brazen attack, captured by bystanders, was posted online a short time after.

Alleged terrorist sympathiser Zaky Mallah, who is not believed to be known to the alleged attacker or victim, captured the alleged attacker wielding the knife in an image posted to Facebook immediately after.

'I caught this photo of the bloke who stabbed someone in the heart at Blacktown… he has a knife in his hands and ran towards me,' Mr Mallah wrote.

When he was 19-years-old Mr Mallah, now 34, was the first Australian charged under the country's anti-terrorism act.

Disturbing footage has emerged of the moment a teenager was allegedly stabbed in the heart in broad daylight (pictured)

Police have charged a 17-year-old male over the alleged attack in Blacktown, western Sydney (pictured is the wounded man being treated)Police have charged a 17-year-old male over the alleged attack in Blacktown, western Sydney (pictured is the wounded man being treated)

Police have charged a 17-year-old male over the alleged attack in Blacktown, western Sydney (pictured is the wounded man being treated)

After the daylight attack, victim John Kelly, 18, could be seen staggering into a nearby medical centre.

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find Mr Kelly in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood.

He was taken to Westmead Hospital, where he was rushed into surgery.

Westmead Hospital told Daily Mail Australia on Friday the 18-year-old remained in a critical but stable condition.

John Kelly, 18, can be seen confronting another man before realising he is bleeding from the chest and staggering into a nearby medical centre (pictured)John Kelly, 18, can be seen confronting another man before realising he is bleeding from the chest and staggering into a nearby medical centre (pictured)

John Kelly, 18, can be seen confronting another man before realising he is bleeding from the chest and staggering into a nearby medical centre (pictured)

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find the Mr Kelly (pictured, right) in a critical condition and losing a lot of bloodParamedics arrived on the scene to find the Mr Kelly (pictured, right) in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood

Paramedics arrived on the scene to find the Mr Kelly (pictured, right) in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood

The 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, was allegedly stabbed in the chest in Blacktown on Thursday The 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, was allegedly stabbed in the chest in Blacktown on Thursday 

The 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, was allegedly stabbed in the chest in Blacktown on Thursday

New South Wales police arrested a man at a home in Seven Hills a short time later and took him to Blacktown Police StationNew South Wales police arrested a man at a home in Seven Hills a short time later and took him to Blacktown Police Station

New South Wales police arrested a man at a home in Seven Hills a short time later and took him to Blacktown Police Station

Paramedics arrived to find the teenager in a critical condition and losing a lot of blood.

The Careflight helicopter, also tasked to the alleged stabbing, landed on the Prospect Highway to drop its emergency medical team.

They jumped aboard the ambulance, which was rushing the teenager to Westmead Hospital, to stabilise him on the road.

Surgeons and operating theatres were put on standby as the teenager began losing consciousness.

'Anyone who has sustained a penetrating injury anywhere around the heart is a concern,' Chief Inspector Parsell said.

Emergency services are seen loading John Kelly into an ambulance after he was allegedly stabbedEmergency services are seen loading John Kelly into an ambulance after he was allegedly stabbed

Emergency services are seen loading John Kelly into an ambulance after he was allegedly stabbed

Police arrived at a house in Seven Hills, where they arrested a teenager in relation to the attackPolice arrived at a house in Seven Hills, where they arrested a teenager in relation to the attack

Police arrived at a house in Seven Hills, where they arrested a teenager in relation to the attack

'Cardiac penetrating injuries are extremely life-threatening and time is of the essence.'

Shocked witnesses could be seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he was loaded into the back of an ambulance.

Officers from Blacktown Local Area Command established a large crime scene and commenced an investigation.

Shocked witnesses are seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he is loaded into the back of an ambulance following the 2.20pm attack in Blacktown Shocked witnesses are seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he is loaded into the back of an ambulance following the 2.20pm attack in Blacktown 

Shocked witnesses are seen crowding around the alleged stabbing victim as he is loaded into the back of an ambulance following the 2.20pm attack in Blacktown

Sobering footage of the 18-year-old victim, John Kelly, emerged after the attack.

Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work to stabilise him.

Dressed in black shorts, and a white t-shirt, Mr Kelly is seen with blood dripping down his left leg, and onto the ground beneath him.

Police say the incident was not terror related and continue to appeal for any witnesses to come forward.

Investigators would like to speak to anybody who encountered the 17-year-old accused person on the rail network following the incident.

Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work on him Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work on him 

Mr Kelly can be seen lying on a hospital bed, bleeding heavily as paramedics work on him

Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable conditionParamedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable condition

Paramedics rushed the wounded man to Westmead Hospital where he remains in a critical but stable condition

Read more:

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Australia

Australia election: PM Morrison’s security team in car crash in Tasmania

Published

on

A car carrying the Australian prime minister’s security team has crashed in Tasmania during an election campaign visit.

Four police officers were taken to hospital with “non-life threatening injuries” after the car and another vehicle collided, authorities said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison was not in the car, but the accident prompted him to cancel the rest of his campaign events on Thursday.

The other driver involved was not hurt.

Tasmania Police said initial investigations suggested the second car had “collided with the rear of the police vehicle, while attempting to merge”. It caused the unmarked security vehicle to roll off the road.

The two Tasmania Police officers and two Australian Federal Police officers were conscious when taken to hospital for medical assessment, the prime minister’s office said.

“Family members of the officers have been contacted and are being kept informed of their condition,” a statement said.

“The PM is always extremely grateful for the protection provided by his security team and extends his best wishes for their recovery and to their families.”

Australians go to the polls on 21 May. Mr Morrison – prime minister since 2018 – is hoping to win his conservative coalition’s fourth term in office.

Polls suggest the opposition Labor Party, led by Anthony Albanese, is favoured to win. However, Mr Morrison defied similar polling to claim victory at the last election in 2019.

Mr Morrison’s Liberal-National coalition holds 76 seats in the House of Representatives – the minimum needed to retain power.

Political observers say the cost of living, climate change, trust in political leaders, and national security will be among key issues in the campaign.

In recent weeks, the prime minister has faced accusations of being a bully and once sabotaging a rival’s career by suggesting the man’s Lebanese heritage made him less electable. Mr Morrison has denied the allegations.

Mr Albanese stumbled into his own controversy this week when he failed to recall the nation’s unemployment or interest rates.

Read from: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-61103987

Continue Reading

Australia

Sydney airport warns delays could last weeks on third day of travel chaos

Published

on

Long queues at Sydney airport’s domestic terminals have continued for a third day, with some passengers missing international connections, as the airport warns delays resulting from a surge in travellers and a shortfall in security staff could continue for weeks.

Chaotic scenes were reported in the departure halls as early as 4.30am on Saturday, with some frustrated travellers, many of whom heeded the pleas of airport chiefs to arrive at least two hours before their domestic flight was due to take off, claiming only one security line was operating.

While the queues that formed early on Saturday are understood to have cleared later in the morning, the airport apologised to affected travellers.

“Traffic numbers are picking up and the close contact rules are making it hard to fill shifts and staff the airport. We appreciate your patience,” Sydney airport said on its Twitter account.

A wave of families travelling as the term two school holidays begin this weekend, combined with close contact rules that are understood to be taking out about 20% of security shifts in any given day, are driving the problem.

Certis, the company that Sydney airport contracts for its security operations, is desperately trying to recruit personnel, while the airport has reallocated back office, IT and retail workers to the departure hall to comb queues so they can prioritise passengers at risk of missing their flight.

“We are working around the clock to resolve these issues and have teams in the terminals bringing passengers forward in order of priority,” a Sydney airport spokesperson said.

He added that the airport is “anticipating it will [be] busy right through the school holiday period and peak over the Easter and Anzac Day weekends, in some cases at 90% of pre-Covid passenger levels”.

“We’re deeply grateful to passengers for their ongoing patience and we’re sorry to everyone who has been inconvenienced,” the spokesperson said. “We would also like to thank passengers for getting to the airport early and treating staff and each other with kindness and respect.”

The Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce was forced to clarify comments he made on Friday that passengers were “not match fit” and that those forgetting to remove laptops and aerosols from their bags at the security check contributing to the delays.

“Just to be clear, I’m not ‘blaming’ passengers,” Joyce said. “Of course it’s not their fault,” he said.

Qantas shed thousands of staff during the pandemic, and outsourced ground crews in a decision that was challenged in court.

On Saturday, Qantas also apologised to a Melbourne family left stranded in Sydney, after domestic flight delays caused them to miss an international trip.

Javiera Martinez, her partner Daniel Capurro and their three children were supposed to be flying to Chile on Friday to visit relatives they had not seen in three years.

But after their 8am Qantas flight from Melbourne was delayed by half an hour, baggage handling and airport transfer delays in Sydney meant they couldn’t make their 11.30am LATAM Airlines flight to Santiago.

Martinez said the airline’s procedures at the airport were chaotic.

“We think Qantas didn’t behave appropriately. I got berated by the person at the counter – they never apologised, they never assumed any responsibility at all,” she said. “It was a rude conversation. We have been mistreated badly I would say.”

The PCR tests they need to travel have now expired and they will have to take them again as they wait for seats on the next flight to Santiago from Sunday.

The airline has apologised and paid for a night’s accommodation in Sydney.

“We sincerely apologise that the family missed their connecting flight on another airline due to delays moving through Sydney airport on Friday,” a Qantas spokesperson said.

The family is among many affected by hold ups amid the busiest travel period in two years, with Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane airports warning passengers to arrive two hours before domestic flights.

source

Continue Reading

Australia

Grace Tame says caller ‘threatened’ against criticising PM

Published

on

An Australian of the Year and sexual abuse survivor has said she received a “threatening” call warning her not to criticise the prime minister.

Grace Tame made the allegation in a speech on Wednesday, where she said she’d been called by a “senior member of a government-funded organisation”.

She added she was asked to promise not to say anything “damning” about Scott Morrison.

The government has denied knowledge of the call and said it will investigate.

On Tuesday, Mr Morrison made a formal apology to former political staffer Brittany Higgins more than a year after the young woman went public with the allegation that she had been raped by a male colleague in a ministerial office.

Her story sparked national anger, and an inquiry into parliament’s culture which found more than a third of workers had been sexually harassed.

Both Ms Higgins and Ms Tame have been heralded this past year for prompting a national conversation about abuse, power and gender inequality.

On Wednesday, the pair delivered a highly anticipated joint address at the National Press Club in Canberra.

Asked by journalists if she could name the threatening caller and their organisation, Ms Tame said: “if I was willing to name either, I would have put them in the speech”.

But she said the caller had been concerned about what she would say on the evening her successor as Australian of the Year was named.

She said the caller had described her as an “influential figure” and that Mr Morrison would “have a fear” about what she might say “with an election coming soon”. Australia is due to hold a general election before 21 May.

“Sound familiar to anyone? Well, it does to me,” Ms Tame said, before drawing a comparison with her former abuser – a teacher who had raped her as a child and pressured her to stay silent.

Mr Morrison’s office said it had not been aware of the call before Ms Tame’s speech, adding “the individual should apologise”.

“The PM and the government consider the actions and statements of the individual as unacceptable,” a spokesperson said.

But Ms Tame said launching a probe “misses the point entirely”.

“Stop deflecting, Scott. It’s not about the person who made the call. It’s the fact they felt like they had to do it at all,” she tweeted.

SOURCE

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 , madridjournals.com