Georgia police save puppy left in a burning trash can
- WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
- Bodycam footage shows the moment Savannah police find an injured puppy
- The hurt dog had been abandoned by teenagers in a burning trash can
- Fifteen percent of her body was burned and she suffered smoke inhalation
- She was taken to an animal hospital and expected to make a full recovery
Published: 15:28 EST, 8 November 2017 | Updated: 15:54 EST, 8 November 2017
Horrifying bodycam footage has captured the moment police in Savannah, Georgia, discover a puppy in a burning trash can.
Shortly after 1am on Saturday, a security officer saw two teenagers pulling a trash can around a building and noticed smoke coming from it.
The teens ran away and the guard immediately called 911.
Police in Savannah, Georgia, responded to a 911 call and found a puppy inside a trash can
Officers Jessica Smith and Marquis Dillard arrived at the scene and found a distressed puppy inside the burning trash can.
'When our officers arrived and saw the pup inside, their hearts dropped,' the department posted on Facebook.
The footage shows the officers taking the puppy out of the trash can and helping her to her feet.
A security guard spotted teenagers moving a trash can with smoke coming out and called 911
Fifteen percent of the puppy's body was burned and she also suffered from smoke inhalation
They took her to Savannah Animal Care and have been checking on her since.
'She's lovable, friendly…she immediately took to us. She's pretty awesome,' Smith said to WJCL.
'It feels good but we are here to protect people, property, pets. You know it's our job to help the community,' said Dillard.
The officers took her to an animal hospital and she is now doing well and expected to recover
The hospital named the puppy Phoenix and think she is part Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Officers Jessica Smith (left) and Marquis Dillard (right) have been following up with the puppy and say that she took to them immediately
Fifteen percent of her body was burned and she suffered from smoke inhalation, but she is now doing well.
Kari Jenkins, medical director of the animal hospital, told WTOC that the dog had plastic from the trash can melted into her fur.
The hospital named the puppy Phoenix and think she is part Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She's on antibiotics and pain medication and is rebounding quickly.
'It's extremely upsetting, especially when it's intentional, ' Jenkins said. 'I mean, we see burn cases where it's house fires, things like that, so we're used to treating them, but anytime there's an intentional involvement, it actually gets you extremely angry.'
Police are currently searching for the suspects.
[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]