Connect with us


A&E doctor ‘became aroused while hugging female medics’

Dr Mohammed Yasin said to have been sexually aroused when he hugged medics It is alleged to have hap..



  • Dr Mohammed Yasin said to have been sexually aroused when he hugged medics
  • It is alleged to have happened at the New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton
  • He is also accused of moving his hands down their bodies and thrusting at them
  • He denied any wrongdoing and blamed his mobile phone in his pocket
  • But the health care assistant involved insisted: 'I know the difference between an erection and a mobile phone'

By Scott Campbell For Mailonline

Published: 08:03 EST, 10 November 2017 | Updated: 08:03 EST, 10 November 2017

An A&E doctor accused of becoming 'pleased' to see two female colleagues on a hospital ward has denied sexual misconduct – claiming he had a mobile phone in his pocket.

Dr Mohammed Yasin, 30, was said to have been sexually aroused when he approached the student nurse and healthcare assistant then hugged them tightly at the New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton.

He was also accused of moving his hands down their bodies and allegedly thrusting against them and pressing his upper legs into them.

But at a medical tribunal Yasin denied wrongdoing claiming the women may have been confused about his intentions as he had a Nokia Candybar handset and car key fob which were always in his trouser pocket.

He also said he hugged the women because he wanted to 'fit in' and had seen other colleagues of a similar background to himself doing the same.

But the health care assistant involved insisted: 'I know the difference between an erection and a mobile phone'.

The encounter is said to have occurred on April 2 last year when the two nurses and Dr Yasin, who was working as a locum, were on a night shift together at New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton, pictured (stock photo)

The encounter is said to have occurred on April 2 last year when the two nurses and Dr Yasin, who was working as a locum, were on a night shift together at New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton, pictured (stock photo)

The Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service in Manchester heard the encounter occurred on April 2 last year when the two nurses and Dr Yasin, who was working as a locum, were on a night shift together.

The healthcare assistant known as Miss B, who had worked at the trust since October 2015, was assisting an elderly patient to the toilet when Dr Yasin approached her looking 'stressed'.

He asked if he could have a hug and without waiting for a response put his arms around her.

She remembers that being quite tight and his hands moved towards her hips and began moving 'back and forth' and 'grinding' against her.

She told the hearing: 'He rubbed himself against me – it's not something that happens every time you go to work.

'His erection was coming on as he was hugging me. As we hugged I could feel him pushing on my leg as he was grinding up and down.

'I knew it was an erection because I didn't feel it straight away. I know it wasn't a marker pen or anything like that because I would have felt it straight away.

'I said I could feel it when he started hugging me, it was not there in the first few seconds but it was there afterwards.

'If it was a marker pen or a banana I would have felt it straight away. I know the difference between a mobile phone and an erection.

'It couldn't have been a mobile phone or a set of keys. As we carried on hugging it started to grow. It's embarrassing because I gave the hug back and this happened.

'In A&E the staff do hug other staff or patients if they become upset but not the way Dr Yasin hugged me.

'I can't say I've ever had experience of a doctor hugging a nurse, that's speaking personally and generally.

'I remember it felt horrible. I would have absolutely no reason to say he had an erection if he hadn't.'

The hearing was told Dr Yasin later attended the Clinical Decision Unit where student nurse Miss A was working.

The woman, who was 21 at the time, said: 'He came right behind me and started to rub my shoulders.

'I remember meeting him once before that on a different area of the department on a different day.

'I went away to do some work for about 10 minutes and when I came back Dr Yasin was still in that area.

'Dr Yasin asked for a hug before hugging me. I was a bit reluctant but did agree to it. I accepted the hug but didn't hug him back.

'I hadn't been hugged by a male doctor before. I do remember he had an erection, it was visible. I just noticed it. I don't think it was a phone or a key fob.

'I felt reluctant to make a complaint, it's a big thing to come forward and it may have consequences.

'I wanted a job there and didn't want any issues that would affect that. But the whole thing made me feel uncomfortable from start to finish. He did have a visible erection and did move his hands down to my waist and back.

'I don't see doctors hugging nurses as often as nurses hugging nurses. In terms of me and Dr Yasin there had never been any physical contact.'

Yasin, from Birmingham, was reported after the two women spoke to each other about their experiences.

He told the hearing: 'I was not aroused – I can only imagine I had something in my pocket st the time. I would have carried my Nokia phone, key fob and tissues.

'They were mistaken about me having an erection. When the complaint was made I was upset and shocked.

'I was offended and hurt by the fact they said I had an erection. The only explanation I've got is my phone and key fob – I don't know how they perceived the erection. I don't even find these girls attractive.

'Hugging was something that was not normal for me in terms of my upbringing.. I saw that people were hugging people of a similar background to me so it would be ok.

'I felt hugging was just part of the culture at work, it was not something I was used to when I was brought up.

'Within my culture and background there's respect for women and respect for women physically.

'For males and females to touch each other if they are not married is considered both inappropriate and wrong.

'One of the things I was concerned about was with the concept of fitting in. I've never seen hugging from behind.

'Hugging someone behind is an odd thing to do because it's not a greeting. I've never hugged anyone from behind because I know it's not appropriate to hug from behind.

'Looking back on the hugs I think I hugged using the whole of my body, I may have gone too close to them and might have hugged them longer than they would have anticipated.

'I didn't develop an erection during the course of the hug. During the hug my hands were around Miss B's shoulder region and they didn't move from there.

'Whilst doing locum in A&E I always wore a shirt and trousers, I never wore scrubs. In my pockets I would have some tissues, a mobile phone and my car key fob.

'At the time I had a very old mobile phone. I don't think it was a 3310 I think it's a Candybar phone.

'I've got two sisters and a mother, I'm not married. My sisters are younger than me.

'If my sisters are the type of people that allow hugs happening I would be fine. If they pulled her into a hug without asking I would be furious.'

Yasin denies sexual misconduct. The hearing continues.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

[contf] [contfnew] [hhm]Daily Mail[hhmc] [contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Continue Reading


Australia: Scott Morrison saga casts scrutiny on Queen’s representative



In the past fortnight, Australia has been gripped by revelations that former Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison secretly appointed himself to several additional ministries.

The move has been labelled a “power grab” by his successor as prime minister, and Mr Morrison has been scolded by many – even his own colleagues.

But the scandal has also dragged Australia’s governor-general into the fray – sparking one of the biggest controversies involving the Queen’s representative in Australia in 50 years.

So does Governor-General David Hurley have questions to answer, or is he just collateral damage?

‘Just paperwork’

Governors-general have fulfilled the practical duties as Australia’s head of state since the country’s 1901 federation.

Candidates for the role were initially chosen by the monarch but are now recommended by the Australian government.

The job is largely ceremonial – a governor-general in almost every circumstance must act on the advice of the government of the day. But conventions allow them the right to “encourage” and “warn” politicians.

Key duties include signing bills into law, issuing writs for elections, and swearing in ministers.

Mr Hurley has run into trouble on the latter. At Mr Morrison’s request, he swore the prime minister in as joint minister for health in March 2020, in case the existing minister became incapacitated by Covid.

Over the next 14 months, he also signed off Mr Morrison as an additional minister in the finance, treasury, home affairs and resources portfolios.

Mr Morrison already had ministerial powers, so Mr Hurley was basically just giving him authority over extra departments.

It’s a request the governor-general “would not have any kind of power to override or reject”, constitutional law professor Anne Twomey tells the BBC.

“This wasn’t even a meeting between the prime minister and the governor-general, it was just paperwork.”

But Mr Morrison’s appointments were not publicly announced, disclosed to the parliament, or even communicated to most of the ministers he was job-sharing with.

Australia’s solicitor-general found Mr Morrison’s actions were not illegal but had “fundamentally undermined” responsible government.

But the governor-general had done the right thing, the solicitor-general said in his advice this week.

It would have been “a clear breach” for him to refuse the prime minister, regardless of whether he knew the appointments would be kept secret, Stephen Donaghue said.

Critics push for investigation

Ultimately, Mr Hurley had to sign off on Mr Morrison’s requests, but critics say he could have counselled him against it and he could have publicised it himself.

But representatives for the governor-general say these types of appointments – giving ministers the right to administer other departments – are not unusual.

And it falls to the government of the day to decide if they should be announced to the public. They often opt not to.

Mr Hurley himself announcing the appointments would be unprecedented. He had “no reason to believe that appointments would not be communicated”, his spokesperson said.

Emeritus professor Jenny Hocking finds the suggestion Mr Hurley didn’t know the ministries had been kept secret “ridiculous”.

“The last of these bizarre, duplicated ministry appointments… were made more than a year after the first, so clearly by then the governor-general did know that they weren’t being made public,” she says.

“I don’t agree for a moment that the governor-general has a lot of things on his plate and might not have noticed.”

The historian says it’s one of the biggest controversies surrounding a governor-general since John Kerr caused a constitutional crisis by sacking Prime Minister Gough Whitlam in 1975.

Prof Hocking famously fought for transparency around that matter – waging a lengthy and costly legal battle that culminated in the release of Mr Kerr’s correspondence with the Queen.

And she says the same transparency is needed here.

The Australian public need to know whether Mr Hurley counselled the prime minister against the moves, and why he didn’t disclose them

The government has already announced an inquiry into Mr Morrison’s actions, but she wants it to look at the governor-general and his office too.

“If the inquiry is to find out what happened in order to fix what happened, it would be extremely problematic to leave out a key part of that equation.”

Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull – Mr Morrison’s predecessor – has also voiced support for an inquiry.

“Something has gone seriously wrong at Government House,” he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“It is the passive compliance along the chain… that did undermine our constitution and our democracy… that troubles me the most. This is how tyranny gets under way.”

PM defends governor-general

Prof Twomey says the criticism of Mr Hurley is unfair – there’s was no “conspiracy” on his part to keep things secret.

“I don’t think it’s reasonable for anyone to expect that he could have guessed that the prime minister was keeping things secret from his own ministers, for example.

“Nobody really thought that was a possibility until about two weeks ago.”

Even if he had taken the unprecedented step to publicise the appointments or to reject Mr Morrison’s request, he’d have been criticised, she says.

“There’d be even more people saying ‘how outrageous!'” she says. “The role of governor-general is awkward because people are going to attack you either way.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has also defended Mr Hurley, saying he was just doing his job.

“I have no intention of undertaking any criticism of [him].”

A role fit for purpose?

Prof Hocking says it’s a timely moment to look at the role of the governor-general more broadly.

She points out it’s possible the Queen may have been informed about Mr Morrison’s extra ministries when Australia’s parliament and people were not.

“It does raise questions about whether this is fit for purpose, as we have for decades been a fully independent nation, but we still have… ‘the relics of colonialism’ alive and well.”

Momentum for a fresh referendum on an Australian republic has been growing and advocates have seized on the controversy.

“The idea that the Queen and her representative can be relied upon to uphold our system of government has been debunked once and for all,” the Australian Republic Movement’s Sandy Biar says.

“It’s time we had an Australian head of state, chosen by Australians and accountable to them to safeguard and uphold Australia’s constitution.”

But Prof Twomey says republicans are “clutching at straws” – under their proposals, the head of state would also have been bound to follow the prime minister’s advice.

“It wouldn’t result in any changes that would have made one iota of difference.”


Read from:

Continue Reading


Australia election: PM Morrison’s security team in car crash in Tasmania



A car carrying the Australian prime minister’s security team has crashed in Tasmania during an election campaign visit.

Four police officers were taken to hospital with “non-life threatening injuries” after the car and another vehicle collided, authorities said.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison was not in the car, but the accident prompted him to cancel the rest of his campaign events on Thursday.

The other driver involved was not hurt.

Tasmania Police said initial investigations suggested the second car had “collided with the rear of the police vehicle, while attempting to merge”. It caused the unmarked security vehicle to roll off the road.

The two Tasmania Police officers and two Australian Federal Police officers were conscious when taken to hospital for medical assessment, the prime minister’s office said.

“Family members of the officers have been contacted and are being kept informed of their condition,” a statement said.

“The PM is always extremely grateful for the protection provided by his security team and extends his best wishes for their recovery and to their families.”

Australians go to the polls on 21 May. Mr Morrison – prime minister since 2018 – is hoping to win his conservative coalition’s fourth term in office.

Polls suggest the opposition Labor Party, led by Anthony Albanese, is favoured to win. However, Mr Morrison defied similar polling to claim victory at the last election in 2019.

Mr Morrison’s Liberal-National coalition holds 76 seats in the House of Representatives – the minimum needed to retain power.

Political observers say the cost of living, climate change, trust in political leaders, and national security will be among key issues in the campaign.

In recent weeks, the prime minister has faced accusations of being a bully and once sabotaging a rival’s career by suggesting the man’s Lebanese heritage made him less electable. Mr Morrison has denied the allegations.

Mr Albanese stumbled into his own controversy this week when he failed to recall the nation’s unemployment or interest rates.

Read from:

Continue Reading


Sydney airport warns delays could last weeks on third day of travel chaos



Long queues at Sydney airport’s domestic terminals have continued for a third day, with some passengers missing international connections, as the airport warns delays resulting from a surge in travellers and a shortfall in security staff could continue for weeks.

Chaotic scenes were reported in the departure halls as early as 4.30am on Saturday, with some frustrated travellers, many of whom heeded the pleas of airport chiefs to arrive at least two hours before their domestic flight was due to take off, claiming only one security line was operating.

While the queues that formed early on Saturday are understood to have cleared later in the morning, the airport apologised to affected travellers.

“Traffic numbers are picking up and the close contact rules are making it hard to fill shifts and staff the airport. We appreciate your patience,” Sydney airport said on its Twitter account.

A wave of families travelling as the term two school holidays begin this weekend, combined with close contact rules that are understood to be taking out about 20% of security shifts in any given day, are driving the problem.

Certis, the company that Sydney airport contracts for its security operations, is desperately trying to recruit personnel, while the airport has reallocated back office, IT and retail workers to the departure hall to comb queues so they can prioritise passengers at risk of missing their flight.

“We are working around the clock to resolve these issues and have teams in the terminals bringing passengers forward in order of priority,” a Sydney airport spokesperson said.

He added that the airport is “anticipating it will [be] busy right through the school holiday period and peak over the Easter and Anzac Day weekends, in some cases at 90% of pre-Covid passenger levels”.

“We’re deeply grateful to passengers for their ongoing patience and we’re sorry to everyone who has been inconvenienced,” the spokesperson said. “We would also like to thank passengers for getting to the airport early and treating staff and each other with kindness and respect.”

The Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce was forced to clarify comments he made on Friday that passengers were “not match fit” and that those forgetting to remove laptops and aerosols from their bags at the security check contributing to the delays.

“Just to be clear, I’m not ‘blaming’ passengers,” Joyce said. “Of course it’s not their fault,” he said.

Qantas shed thousands of staff during the pandemic, and outsourced ground crews in a decision that was challenged in court.

On Saturday, Qantas also apologised to a Melbourne family left stranded in Sydney, after domestic flight delays caused them to miss an international trip.

Javiera Martinez, her partner Daniel Capurro and their three children were supposed to be flying to Chile on Friday to visit relatives they had not seen in three years.

But after their 8am Qantas flight from Melbourne was delayed by half an hour, baggage handling and airport transfer delays in Sydney meant they couldn’t make their 11.30am LATAM Airlines flight to Santiago.

Martinez said the airline’s procedures at the airport were chaotic.

“We think Qantas didn’t behave appropriately. I got berated by the person at the counter – they never apologised, they never assumed any responsibility at all,” she said. “It was a rude conversation. We have been mistreated badly I would say.”

The PCR tests they need to travel have now expired and they will have to take them again as they wait for seats on the next flight to Santiago from Sunday.

The airline has apologised and paid for a night’s accommodation in Sydney.

“We sincerely apologise that the family missed their connecting flight on another airline due to delays moving through Sydney airport on Friday,” a Qantas spokesperson said.

The family is among many affected by hold ups amid the busiest travel period in two years, with Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane airports warning passengers to arrive two hours before domestic flights.


Continue Reading


Copyright © 2020 ,