The International Criminal Court (ICC) is to open a preliminary inquiry into alleged crimes committed during the Philippines government's war on drugs, its chief prosecutor says.
Fatou Bensouda said it would look at reports of extrajudicial killings.
President Rodridgo Duterte's policy of endorsing such killings in the drugs war has drawn widespread condemnation.
Ms Bensouda said an initial examination would also be opened into the use of excessive force in Venezuela.
The government of President Nicolas Maduro has faced accusations of human rights violations following protests last year in which more than 120 people were killed.
Ms Bensouda said she had "closely followed" the situations in the Philippines and Venezuela and after "a careful, independent and impartial review… I have decided to open a preliminary examination into each situation".
She stressed that the examinations by the ICC – based in The Hague – were "not an investigation" but a process of examining information "in order to reach a fully informed determination on whether there is a reasonable basis to proceed with an investigation".
With regard to the Philippines, she said her office would analyse alleged crimes committed in the context of the government's "war on drugs".
"Specifically it has been alleged that since July 2016 thousands of persons have been killed for reasons related to their alleged involvement in illegal drug use or dealing," she said.
"While some of such killings have reportedly occurred in the context of clashes between and within gangs it is alleged that many of the reported incidents involved extrajudicial killings in the course of police anti-drug operations."
President Duterte's spokesman, Harry Roque, dismissed the ICC's examination as a "waste of time and resources".
He said Mr Duterte had employed "lawful use of force" against threats to the country.
Amnesty International welcomed the ICC's announcement on the Philippines, saying it marked "a crucial moment for justice and accountability".
"This announcement is a warning to leaders around the world that those who order or incite crimes against humanity including murder will not be able to get away with it, and will be subject to investigation under international law," said James Gomez, Amnesty's south-east Asia director.
Ms Bensouda said that, for Venezuela, her team would focus on alleged crimes committed during anti-government demonstrations since April 2017.
"In particular, it has been alleged that state security forces frequently used excessive force to disperse and put down demonstrations, and arrested and detained thousands of actual or perceived members of the opposition," she said.
Years of economic and political turmoil have left Venezuela with the world's highest inflation rate and shortages of basic goods, including medicines.
President Maduro has blamed the country's woes on "international economic sabotage".
The EU and the US have imposed sanctions on Venezuela over alleged human rights violations.
Honduras prison violence: Dozens killed in women’s jail riot
At least 46 women have been killed in a riot at a women’s prison in Honduras on Tuesday.
It is understood that a fight broke out between rival gangs, after which one gang set a cell alight.
Officials say most of those who died were killed in the fire but others were shot, stabbed or beaten to death.
An investigation is under way to determine how the inmates managed to smuggle automatic weapons and machetes into the jail.
President Xiomara Castro, who last year launched a crackdown on gangs, said on social media that she was “shocked by the monstrous murder of women” and would take “drastic measures” in response.
She has dismissed Security Minister Ramón Sabillón and replaced him with the head of the national police force, Gustavo Sánchez.
Survivors of the deadly incident told local media that it was triggered by rivalries between two of Central America’s most notorious criminal organisations: the 18th Street Gang and MS-13.
They said members of one gang had been taunting their rivals, who then set fire to the mattresses in the cell holding those taunting them.
Videos posted on social media showed a huge cloud of grey smoke rising from the women’s prison, which is located about 25km north of the capital, Tegucigalpa, and holds approximately 900 inmates.
While the warring factions are locked up in different parts of the jail, the wings are located close to each other.
The unrest broke out early in the morning local time on Tuesday.
Survivors said that many of those who died had been seeking refuge from the flames in a bathroom. Their burnt bodies were found piled on top of each other.
Others were shot dead and stabbed by gang members in the corridors and a prison courtyard.
Some of the victims are not thought to have been linked to either of the two gangs but were caught up in the incident.
Among them is a former police cadet who was serving a 15-year prison sentence after confessing to killing a fellow police officer.
Another of those killed was only days away from being released after serving her sentence for kidnapping.
Honduras is known for corruption and gang violence, which have infiltrated government institutions and seen the homicide rate soar.
Along with neighbours El Salvador and Guatemala, the country is a major transit route for cocaine coming from South America to the United States.
It also has a history of deadly prison riots, which are often linked to organised crime.
At least 18 people were killed in gang violence at a prison in the northern port city of Tela in 2019.
Colombian plane crash: New clues found in search for lost children
A desperate search for four children who have been missing since their plane crashed in the Colombian jungle on 1 May has yielded new clues.
Items belonging to the siblings, who are aged between 11 months and 13 years, have been found in two different locations in the rainforest.
Their mother and the other adults on board the plane died in the crash.
But search teams say small footprints found last week indicate that the children survived the impact.
The footprints were spotted on Thursday and specialists said most likely belonged to the children.
Earlier last week, search teams had found a child’s drinking bottle, a pair of scissors and a hair tie, as well as what appeared to be a makeshift shelter made from branches and a half-eaten passion fruit.
The children belong to the Huitoto indigenous group and members of their community have expressed the hope that their knowledge of fruits and jungle survival skills will have given them a better chance of surviving the ordeal.
But despite more than 100 soldiers combing the jungle, no further traces were found until the early hours of Wednesday.
The latest items were spotted by an indigenous woman some 500m (1,640ft) from the crash site.
She found a dirty nappy, a green towel and shoes, which judging by their size are thought to belong to the second youngest of the missing siblings, who is four years old. The nappy is believed to have been worn by the 11-month-old baby.
At a separate location, the search team found another nappy, a mobile phone case and a pink cap which matches the drinking bottle found last week.
Indigenous people have joined the search and helicopters have been broadcasting a message from the children’s grandmother recorded in the Huitoto language urging them to stay put and to stop moving so as to make them easier to locate.
The latest traces are further indication that the four siblings survived the plane crash which killed their mother and the plane’s pilot and co-pilot, the Colombian army said.
But it warned that the state of the items suggested that they had not been abandoned there recently, but “sometime between 3 and 8 May”.
The army added that it was encouraged by the fact that none of the items showed traces of blood.
The army colonel in charge of the search also said that all indications were that the four children were roaming the jungle on their own.
Last week, Colombia’s president came under criticism when a tweet published on his account announced that the children had been found.
He erased the tweet the next day saying that the information – which his office had been given by Colombia’s child welfare agency – could not be confirmed.
Pedro I: Emperor’s embalmed heart arrives in Brazil
The embalmed heart of Brazil’s first emperor, Dom Pedro I, has arrived in the capital Brasilia to mark 200 years of independence from Portugal.
The heart, which lies preserved in a flask filled with formaldehyde, was flown on board a military plane from Portugal.
It will be received with military honours before going on public display at the foreign ministry.
The heart will be returned to Portugal after Brazil’s independence day.
Portuguese officials gave the go-ahead for the preserved organ to be moved from the city of Porto for the celebrations of Brazil’s bicentenary.
The organ arrived on a Brazilian air force plane accompanied by the mayor of Porto, Rui Moreira.
Mayor Moreira said it would return to Portugal after having basked “in the admiration of the Brazilian people”.
“The heart will be received like a head of state, it will be treated as if Dom Pedro I was still living amongst us,” Brazil foreign ministry’s chief of protocol Alan Coelho de Séllos said.
There will be a cannon salute, a guard of honour and full military honours.
“The national anthem [will be played] and the independence anthem, which by the way was composed by Dom Pedro I, who as well as an emperor was a good musician in his spare time,” Mr Séllos said.
Dom Pedro was born in 1798 into Portugal’s royal family, which at the time also ruled over Brazil. The family fled to the then-Portuguese colony to evade Napoleon’s invading army.
When Dom Pedro’s father, King John VI, returned to Portugal in 1821, he left the 22-year-old to rule Brazil as regent.
A year later, the young regent defied the Portuguese parliament, which wanted to keep Brazil as a colony, and rejected its demand that he return to his home country.
On 7 September 1822 he issued Brazil’s declaration of independence and was soon after crowned emperor.
He returned to Portugal to fight for his daughter’s right to accede to the Portuguese throne and died aged 35 of tuberculosis.
On his deathbed, the monarch asked that his heart be removed from his body and taken to the city of Porto, where it is kept in an altar in the church of Our Lady of Lapa.
His body was transferred to Brazil in 1972 to mark the 150th anniversary of independence and has been kept in a crypt in São Paulo.
Australia4 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Australia4 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Europe3 years ago
Covid: Flights shut down as EU discusses UK virus threat
Europe3 years ago
Post-Brexit trade: Is red tape chaos just ‘teething trouble’ as the UK government argues?
Tech3 years ago
Search engine startup asks users to be the customer, not the product
Health3 years ago
Spain ‘to register’ those who refuse to have Covid-19 vaccine
Tech2 years ago
Sign up to The Independent’s free cryptocurrency expert panel event
US3 years ago
Send a birthday card to the oldest living WWII veteran in the US as he turns 111