Race-by-race guide and preview for Dubbo on Friday
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Fridays Dubbo meeting. Selections based on a good track.
Race 1 – 12:20PM KINGS HALLS JEWELLERS SILVER GOBLET (1100 METRES)
7. Papa John has been gelded since a solid enough debut back in January and looked to do it pretty well in a recent trial at Scone. Open race and one with many chances but expecting him to run a cheeky race fresh.
Dangers: 1. Calescent is the horse to beat on form, she sat wide throughout on a heavy track at Albury and was only reeled in late. Only failures have been in the city and she should be in this for a long way. 3. Baker Street has just the one trial under his belt and he wasnt asked for a supreme effort in running third there at Scone. In top stable, drawn the inside and any support would be significant. 11. Joy And Peace is a well bred filly on debut and shes also had the one trial, and again it was a quiet one at Muswellbrook. Drawn out but respect any support for her. Also worth including 2. Denace and 4. Eiger in calculations.
How to play it: Papa John E/W; Box quinella 2,3,7,11..
Race 2 – 12:55PM FLY PELICAN HANDICAP (1100 METRES)
2. What The Fuss just needs the breaks to go his way to break through in a race of not many chances on paper. Run down late here two starts back then dropped to 900m and just couldnt grab the leader. Trip ideal, drawn to be handy and should take beating.
Dangers: 3. Egyptian Amulet is extremely well bred but has taken some time to make it to the races. Tested out a bit in winning his trial at Scone beating Papa John and hes one to keep a close eye on. 6. Expellable is having his first start for Cameron Crockett and he couldnt have been more impressive in winning a trial at Scone recently. Form to date has been patchy but if he runs up to the trial he will go close. 16. Southern Strategy has had plenty of chances but boxed on as usual here last start and from a low draw could easily be in the finish. Next best 5. Tayrose who has the chance to improve third-up.
How to play it: What The Fuss WIN..
Race 3 – 1.35PM MONEY QUEST HANDICAP (1000 METRES)
6. Princess Lottie went off the boil a bit at the end of last prep but early on she was in the sort of form that would win this race easily. Won at Wyong fresh then at Newcastle, gets in with 54kg and a nice gate in a race with a bit of speed and has trialled well. Should be competitive.
Dangers: 5. Jetgirl rarely runs a bad race and she did a big job with 60kg at Hawkesbury last time when wide on the speed. Races well here and expect her to be around the mark. 1. Annas Joy won at Randwick in April and was game in the Wagga Town Plate but her last two in stronger city grade have been below par. Blinkers go on, shell be right on the pace and no surprise to see her go close. 3. Gwenneth has come a long way from Albury to run here so that suggests shes ready to go. She can mix her form but is a good short courser with a placing down the Flemington straight three runs ago. Couldnt leave her out.
How to play it: Princess Lottie E/W.
Race 4 – 2.10PM REFLECTIONS RESTAURANT PLATE (1300 METRES)
8. The Exchequer has a tricky gate to overcome but he has the hoof right on the till at the moment with a couple of close seconds on end. Nabbed on the line at Gunnedah last start and just missed over this course prior to that. Good chance.
Dangers: 11. Gemmahra is an interesting runner, lightly raced with thirds at both starts to date. Given a nice quiet trial against open company and shed be well worth keeping safe. 2. Banff weaved his way through the pack at his second start for a handy third at Scone over 1400m. Just peaked late there so the drop of 100m might suit and he looks in a race he could win without surprising. 13. Southern Strategy has nine placings from 18 starts and three of those have come at this distance. Had her chance last time at 1100m but can never be left out of the multiples.
How to play it: The Exchequer WIN; Trifecta 8/2,11,13/2,11,13.
Race 5 – 2.50PM DUBBO CHAMBER RHINO AWARDS CUP (1600 METRES)
1. Sugar Dance gets in very well with the 4kg claim in a race where he should be able to control the speed again as he did at Wellington last start for the same apprentice rider. Has placed at a mile at his only attempt and will give them plenty to run down.
Dangers: 3. A Martin Placepick chased Sugar Dance home last start on the back of a placing in the Gunnedah Cup over this trip. Has a 2kg turnaround on Sugar Dance here so that gives him his chance. 2. Cool And Neat has been racing well of late with his only flop coming at Gosford on a wet track. Tried hard to Mudgee last time over the mile and has a senior rider on for the first time in a while. Entitled to run well. 7. Sonic Girl is another going well without winning and she just bumped into a progressive type when runner-up at Bathurst. Wasnt far from Cool And Neat at Mudgee before that so has each-way claims.
How to play it: Sugar Dance WIN.
Race 6 – 3.25PM BACK TO THE MILESTONE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)
6. Modern Family broke through for his maiden win in a Class 1 over this course last start and strikes a race no harder. He had a bit on them at the finish, drawn nicely and theres no reason he couldnt win again.
Dangers: 4. Thunderzone attacked the line strongly late when he resumed at 1300m at Dubbo. Yet to be tried at a mile but hes been strong at the end of 1500m previously and has struck a winnable race. Should be competitive. 1. The Frick has run into form at his past couple with a closing second at Tamworth and another handy effort at Bathurst at 1800m. Should be at his top now and has every chance to break through. 7. TheRead More – Source