Tips and race-by-race preview for Kembla Grange
Selections based on a heavy track.
Race 1 – 12:15PM CUDGEREE BAY PLATE (2000 METRES)
2. Brilliance Squared has had a few chances of late but plenty to like about how he found the line at Canterbury last start. A heavy track is a small query but has placed over this course and is entitled to be in the finish.
Dangers: 4. De Valera has settled back and run on at his last couple since stepping up to a mile and beyond. Didnt threaten when fourth at Newcastle but ready for 2000m and is in the mix. 3. Castel Santangelo disappointed as an easing odds-on favourite in the same race as De Valera. He led and had his chance but only held on for third. Likely leader again and will be fitter so one more chance. 1. Black Sunrise was also beaten at odds-on at his latest attempt and steps up to 2000m for the first time. Should be on the pace somewhere and that will give him a shot.
How to play it: Brilliance Squared E/W.
Race 2 – 12:50PM PURRY BURRY POINT PLATE (1500 METRES)
7. Lucknow Lady gets her chance to break through with the blinkers going on. No luck on debut at this track then had to wait to get to the outside before running on at Kensington last time. No harder here and shes the one to beat.
Dangers: 6. Betty Blooms started a well supported favourite in the same trace as Lucknow Lady and led but was no match late. Gets a weight swing in her favour and that commands her some respect. 2. Classic Gaming attacked the line well behind Funstar on debut then battled on OK here up to 1400m. Showing some promise and shapes as though the extra trip will help him. Definite chance. 4. Disco Mo will be up on the speed as he has been in his last few starts. No match for the winner at Kensington last time and may have to work a bit from the outside here. Each-way claims.
How to play it: Lucknow Lady WIN; Box quinella 2,6,7.
Race 3 – 1.25PM LANGS POINT HANDICAP (1000 METRES)
1. Antonio returns as a gelding and theres nothing wrong with the form around his two starts to date. Wasnt tested in his last trial where he led and ran third and expect hell try to lead all the way here. Yet to see a wet track but on face value should go close.
Dangers: 4. Fearless Mila could be some competition for the lead but will have to try to cross Antonio to get it. She led and boxed on fairly at Gosford last time, also no wet credentials but sure to give a good account. 5. Freefica was an easing favourite on debut at Hawkesbury and appeared to have her chance finishing midfield. Better for that run and is open to improvement so in a race of few chances she can lift. 2. Bryan Roy only has one trial behind him and it was on a soft 7 here against open company. Wouldnt shock to see him fill a minor placing.
How to play it: Antonio WIN.
Race 4 – 2.05PM TUGGERAH BAY HANDICAP (1000 METRES)
4. Sebring Express tends to race best early in her preparations and attacks this first-up with two trials under the belt. Shes OK on a wet track, in well with the claim and is right back in class on what she contested last time in. Go well.
Dangers: 6. Belitsa takes on the older horses here first-up and her only failure was in the Reisling in March at G2 level. Hit the line nicely in her latest trial on a heavy track, drawn wide but usually races forward. Must be respected. 2. Commanding Witness is coming off a long absence and only raced the once in the past two years. He has won a trial leading into this and any market confidence would be a plus. Could be a risk but rather include than dismiss. 3. Virgilio is back to his right grade after failing at Warwick Farm last time out. Prior to that he was run down late by Handspun who won in town after that. Doesnt win out of turn but usually around the mark.
How to play it: Sebring Express E/W.
Race 5 – 2.40PM HOOKA ISLAND HANDICAP (1200 METRES)
6. Tereka wasnt fancied when she resumed at Warwick Farm but she was running on nicely late into fourth on a soft 6. Fitter for that and less depth in this field so if she has the upside that she should then shes one of the hardest to beat.
Dangers: 1. Deelbraka has been a beaten favourite at his last five starts so is proving very costly. Placed here on a heavy track in one of those races and has two trials in recent weeks. Not overly big and has the 60kg but this is another chance for him. 3. Against The Tide ran on from last in a small field into third here over 1000m fresh so perhaps the 1200m will suit. Did fail on a heavy here before a spell but first-up run was encouraging. 4. Design Ahead resumed with a much-improved third over this course despite being unfancied. Open to further improvement and could be placed again.
How to play it: Tereka E/W.
Race 6 – 3.15PM GOOSEBERRY ISLAND PLATE (1200 METRES)
3. Designated caught the eye at this track second-up, he got a long way back after stumbling at the start and was making plenty of ground into fourth. Up in trip is a tick, obvious wet track query but if he steps away with them he can be in the finish at odds.
Dangers: 5. Excellent Proposal has trialled nicely twice and was holding off the challenge of Duty when winning his latest hit-out. Sure to run a nice race. 12. Toomai is a big market watch with just the one trial in public over a month ago and it was a very quiet one out the back over 804m. Any sRead More – Source