Australia

‘Disappointing response’ from deputy premier on job losses: Union

HUNDREDS of Essential Energy jobs could still be cut in the Central West and Orana with the deputy premier admitting he has so far been unable to reverse the situation. In early July the government owned energy supplier announced it would axe 182 jobs in regional NSW, a month later a leaked document revealed another 500 would be cut. NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro may have come out in support of the 682 workers set to lose their jobs, but on Thursday he admitted the supplier had not heeded his calls. READ ALSO: NSW abortion inquiry gets 13,000 submissions "After weeks of calling on Essential Energy to pull back on the proposed jobs cuts in regional NSW, I am yet to receive a guarantee from the organisation that they will reverse this decision," he said. "The NSW Government announced there would be no public sector regional job losses and as a government body, Essential Energy is expected to follow suit. "I have met with Essential Energy and made every effort to discuss this issue with them, however, this state-owned corporation refuses to comply with government policy." The Electrical Trades Union (ETU), which represents many of the workers who will lose their jobs, said it has been left disappointed. ETU secretary Justin Page said he expected firmer action on protecting the jobs of front-line workers across regional NSW. READ ALSO: Virgin gives baggage allowance to infants He accused the National Party of "failing to live up that commitment" of saving Essential Energy workers' jobs. "This lack of progress raises questions about the authority of the Nationals in this government," Mr Page said. "John Barilaro's statement today says that 'this state-owned corporation refuses to comply with government policy' – the Nationals need to toughen up. And the Liberals need to deliver. READ ALSO: Sydney lawyer named as chair-wielding hero "This is simply not acceptable, allowing the Essential Energy CEO to walk over them and defy their policy of protecting jobs. "We are talking about communities doing it tough in the drought and job losses in our regions are just devastating." Why not subscribe.

HUNDREDS of Essential Energy jobs could still be cut in the Central West and Orana with the deputy premier admitting he has so far been unable to reverse the situation.

In early July the government owned energy supplier announced it would axe 182 jobs in regional NSW, a month later a leaked document revealed another 500 would be cut.

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro may have come out in support of the 682 workers set to lose their jobs, but on Thursday he admitted the supplier had not heeded his calls.

"After weeks of calling on Essential Energy to pull back on the proposed jobs cuts in regional NSW, I am yet to receive a guarantee from the organisation that they will reverse this decision," he said.

"The NSW Government announced there would be no public sector regional job losses and as a government body, Essential Energy is expected to follow suit.

"I have met with Essential EnergRead More – Source

Related Posts