Sports

F2 racer Correa removed from coma but facing major surgery

LONDON: Formula Two driver Juan Manuel Correa has been taken out of a medically-induced coma nearly three weeks after being injured in a crash that killed French racer Anthoine Hubert.

A statement issued by his family on Friday hailed "a major step in the right direction' but said the 20-year-old Ecuadorean-American was still in a race against time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

"The medical priority for Juan Manuel now shifts from the lungs to the leg injuries that were sustained more than two weeks ago and have not been addressed since the initial emergency intervention (on) the day of the incident," they said.

"Doctors are in a race against time to perform a pending major surgery in order to minimise risk of irreversible injuries to his right lower extremity but cant proceed until lungs are ready to withstand a lengthy operation."

Hubert died when his car was hit at speed by Correa's after the French driver crashed into the barriers and returned to the track at Spa's fast Raidillon corner during the Belgian Grand Prix support race on Aug. 31.

He was the first driver fatality at a Formula One race weekend since Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger were killed at Imola in 1994.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Correa suffered a spinal injury and fractured his legs in the crash. He was transferred from Belgium to a specialised intensive care unit in London on Sept. 3.

Friday's statement said he had been removed from extracorporeal memb

Related Posts